Heartless

So breathless, so endless the hospital stay was and so wonderful at the same too, because Naegi could experience the slowness of the world and what it had to renew in him; But feelings bugged him and the whole nonsense with Kazuichi's jealously and Nagito being so close made him jittery and while Naegi didn't have the answers to the stardust in his eyes, he knew that they could still be trusted. How much longer till the wait was over?

He had various visitors but never Kirigiri and yet, he couldn't recall any kindness from her or sudden change of heart, only her arguments with Byakuya that night. Was Naegi a pawn to everyone? Was he meant for more than being a piece on the checkers board? He had a will, a will to live and the right to know what was beyond good and evil.

Did Kirigiri hate him, then? Or was she always so icy? But he knew his inclinations were real towards Byakuya somehow but how could Naegi blossom then? How could he be vulnerable, so naked? He had thought he'd rid himself of that after his parents' death and Komaru's subsequent hospitalization. Could he muster the man power to see her after all these years in those hallways? In that room with her catatonic? It was his fault that his parents hung themselves and what did it do than leave indelible marks that stained the heart and ripped out the soul to a vacuum less space. Not any place for stars now, not in the center of galaxies being sucked up to super massive black holes and yet, he had gone there already and stayed true to himself, it was just that he ran away. What else was new but to run?

But no news from either Byakuya or Kazuichi about the shadow that full moon night.

Did they defeat it in time?

Was there even a chance to do so?

"You're pathetic sometimes, Naegi."

"Kirigiri!"

Was this the first time she visited?

"Don't be too surprised. I came out for necessity and nothing more, and besides Togami has been keeping up with your progress. You should be back in the dorm in a few more days. I spoke with the nurse and even doctor and your wound wasn't completely life threatening but it wasn't superficial either." She leaned against her stiff leg and crossed her arms impatiently. Did Kirigiri not like being here? Was there a remote signal that she hated or resented Naegi because of Byakuya?

No, she was beyond pettiness and besides, she wanted to protect Naegi, because that's what he heard or was he being deceived? Was Byakuya some type of play boy or worse still?

"I'm glad to hear I'll be out soon. I wonder if I can go back to school right away. It's been nice staying here as it makes me slow down and think of the past."

"Your past is well known to us, by the way."

The Dark Hour came when he did those months ago and so he wasn't completely taken aback to Kirigiri's admission to the team's knowledge.

"You never asked about your sister."

"Oh, I don't need to. She's practically out of my reach and besides I know where she resides but I haven't seen her in a few years. Don't think she would remember or even react to me."

He hung his head. Of course, Komaru wouldn't.

"Komaru! KOMARU! Listen to me. You can't give in, you can't! Listen to me! I need you too and losing you would be the worst...no, the icing on the cake for me. I can't take it and that's why I must do this. You left me with no choice but know you can't give in just because mom and dad are gone. We're better than this."

"Makoto...p-please don't leave me." Komaru clutched at her sleeves, teary eyed and still wrestling with her own phrases and natural tongue movements but the moment was never going to change. The papers were signed and sealed Naegi was done with her erratic and unfocused behavior. The screaming fits, the fussing and lately, the threats to her safety and her own life.

"Komaru. I have to go but remember I loved you."

"MAKOTO! DON'T YOU DARE TURN YOUR BACK TO ME! I am your sister and..." She groaned doubling at the waist and shaking her head. The fits were returning but was it wise to let her go to the institution this? But he already was facing away and with the wind bustling between them, he realized he didn't love his sister that much anymore. How terrible of a big brother he was but how could he feel any better than to get rid of her this way? His relatives agreed and ultimately, it was his decision to lead her here.

He loved her.

The wind rustled against his growing hair and ahoge but it always stood in the place but Kirigiri was a wall of unmovable emotion and humanity but no matter at least she finally visited.

"Is that all? You weren't worried about me or anything?"

"No. I knew you'd pull through just I didn't think you'd be so bold and save Togami like that."

"That guy wasn't aiming at Byakuya and you know it. I was the target."

Why? Did that guy know about Naegi's own coincidence with the Dark Hour? Did that guy know Naegi brought that calamity against this town? No, if that guy was trying to preserve the Dark Hour and his powers, he wouldn't have tried to kill Naegi in cold blood.

"He doesn't know how it is to be like us."

"What is 'us' anyway, Kirigiri? I heard you guys...I heard.."

Her gloved hands clenched.

"I don't care at this point but know I can look after myself and whatever happened between you and Byakuya, know this much-we still have to be a team and figure out these mysteries and stop these shadows."

Asserting himself at the wrong times and moments but would she take it in stride or blow over? No, it was her MO to break down but there were cracks in that wall and clear as a blue sky, Naegi could see through. What he saw, he couldn't decipher but it was a Kirigiri that he didn't recognize. Her inner self.

"Then if you excuse me, Naegi."

Again, left in the cold but did he deserve this? Yes, he was a heartless bastard at the core.