Thrown Stars

"Mind if I sit next to you?"

The quiet voice broke through any thoughts that Naegi sought to keep from tracing the outer part of his lips. "Sure. It's Nagito, right?"

"Yes. Nagito Komaeda."

"I got that part, silly." Naegi lightly chuckled and noticed the vacant stare of Nagito and how calm and collected he was put together. How could he be like that? How could he stand be talked about all the time? Naegi knew the rumors and dreadful that Nagito was in a witness protective program and was truly part of the mob...silly things like that. What were the other students thinking about when they came with pure conjecture?

"I see your friend isn't with you."

"Oh, you mean Kazuichi. He had to take care of something..."

"OH, that's good then."

Good? Was Nagito waiting to corner Naegi like this? How and why did it make no sense to him and why was everyone putting him on guard especially since Togami...

"I've been waiting to meet you, Makoto Naegi."

"You have?"

"You're interesting to me."

"I take it you want to be friends, huh?"

"We are already friends because I feel like it's destiny..."

Why was Nagito creepy, too? No, those rumors had no bearings and no way could Naegi judge the Nagito that way because it wasn't fair to his character even if he felt strange to Naegi. There was always some explanation to everything...okay, even with his Persona and shadows. Even Tartarus had meaning in this world and truth be foretold, that all paths converged at a single fixed point, right? But what the point of wondering to what was meant to take place?

"Then, if this is true then we're already friends."

"I am glad, Makoto Naegi."

"Call me, Makoto. It's alright to be less formal with friends, right?" And a sheepish uncovered smirk began to form on the lips that Togami touched so smoothly and gently. What the hell was wrong with Naegi? Why was he even thinking about his senpai that way? Togami...what did he mean by everything and was he truly honest? How could he not be? It still hit harder and lingered more than what Naegi wanted.

But a surge of energy, of feeling landed him and he knew before the words caught in his throat.

Thou art I

And I am thou

Thou hast established a new bond..

Thou shalt be blessed when creating Persona of the Magician Arcana

"Is everything alright, Makoto?"

"Yes, Nagito. Tell me about you..."

"There's nothing interesting in my life story as I rather learn more about you..."

Whispers.

Whispers in the evening that had remarked highly in Naegi's mind but he crept somehow in the dorm, holding onto his sense of direction hearing now the thudded thumping of footsteps on the second floor. He wanted to try to reach out and see what was going on but he felt like he was intruding more than he should but a pique curiosity filled the brim of his imagination and besides he needed to confront Togami about this morning. Naegi had to square away his feelings and tell Togami that it was impossible to keep up expectations and that Naegi could fall if brought up too high on that pedestal. Wasn't Naegi worthy already so why was Togami throwing around his feelings to Naegi? It wouldn't reach and it wouldn't be accepted because...he couldn't find the right reasons, the right excuses to talk himself out of climbing up the stairs but on instinct he ducked behind the bannisters.

"You wouldn't dare do that, Togami."

"I did and I will, Kirigiri."

"You're WRONG, Togami! How could you be so reckless!?"

Both Togami and Kirigiri was shouting and keeping a space between but there wasn't anything more but furious indignation. What were they talking about anyhow? No, it wasn't right to eavesdrop but Naegi couldn't compromise his position because now he felt compelled to stay.

"How could you put that on him?"

"I had no choice."

"You're a fool, Togami."

"Then foolish is what I aim to be."

"That's not the point!" Kirigiri was exclaiming with enough force, enough vigor to knock Naegi back if it was directed at him but it wasn't and yet, Naegi had no clue who they could be referencing to. Could it be him?

"He doesn't know, does he? You can't play with him like this..."

"I don't aim to play when I am involved."

"You played with me! Admit it!"

Why was Kirigiri out of character now? What had upset her to destroy that mask she wore so peacefully? Then with a step forward then back, as if confused, Togami somehow pushed the air between him and Kirigiri and grasped her with his hands tangled in her long hair.

"Maybe I have but I mean it with him and we have to let this go."

"Kiss me then. Prove it to me that I mean nothing to you."

WHAT!

What the hell was happening to Kirigiri? Why was she losing her composure to Togami? Weren't they equals or was there something that Naegi failed to realize or subtly take in? They always felt close but the betrayal...no, why was it betrayal? It couldn't hurt him and yet, he was taking it like that.

Togami hesitated.

"I see." Kirigiri returned to form immediately pulling apart from Togami and flipping her messy bits of hair over her shoulders. "Then I suspect that our relationship will be strictly professional, but I will say this-if you hurt Naegi, then you'll be in some serious trouble."

"You sound like I'll break him. I can't."

"You can. You forget he's a boy, Togami."

"I won't, Kirigiri."

"So, you've found another fucker that has potential." Fuyuhiko said half grinning and half serious and Kirigiri nodded while Togami bent over the monitors and pinpointed the next member of the elimination squad. "Kazuichi Souda?" He remarked surprised.

"Yes, he was transferred to this dorm not by accident because he was scouted. It was due to Naegi's good work that we found him. Wake him up and bring him here. There's things we have to decide and on our next course of action."

Kazuichi Souda having potential but would he fight the shadows and climb Tartarus with them? Yeah, Kazuichi would have to say yes because he wasn't alone and Naegi could persuade Kazuichi, right? But still, the earlier conversation that Naegi saw between the two upperclassmen sharply throbbed in his chest.

"You okay, Naegi?"

"I am, Togami senpai."

"Good. Now remember what we talked about..."

"I haven't forgotten. I'll do what I can with Kazuichi."