Connect

"What will you do now?"

"Huh?"

Naegi was troubled again as the boy in the striped clothes came again but wasn't it always at bad times like this?

"Will you give it all up?"

"I...I can't make that decision for myself anymore."

The boy smiled wide. "I believe there is still time as another full moon is going to be here, and will you let the Dark Hour continue?"

"I can't do a damn thing about it. Why must I care?"

The hurt was hiding in Naegi's voice and threatening as the anger could become, there wasn't any limits and yet, he had avoided responsibility all this time. He was running away again because he chose not to face the reality but could he do anything without his Evoker? His Persona? Yet, Chihiro's words rang true...

"I don't blame you for anything, Makoto, because it was a moment of clarity, your words inspired me to take a good look at myself...and I guess I don't need a Persona to define me as a person."

But he wasn't her and she couldn't decide for him in the end as it all rested on his shoulders, yet again... He couldn't save his parents, Komaru or Kirigiri. Why was everyone laughing at him? Why was it harder than he imagined staying afloat? He hated the boy and wanted no more to do with Personas or the Dark Hour or anything of that sort...could that be possible?

And while Naegi clutched his stomach as the cherished moments of the past seeped up from the ground and the room spun simultaneously. Why was it his fault for coming back to this place!? Why did the Dark Hour have to start because of him? Why him? What was the reason for coming back here, for? There was nothing...nothing of importance to him, here...

How did Chihiro have more courage than him?

But sometimes, he wondered when the streets were silent and the city had fallen asleep...what world he belonged in and if he could be in the one with his teammates?

How could she change so fast while he had all this time to and was stagnant to the very end?

"Because you do care. You care for all of them and care to end the sadness, don't you? The one you carry all the time?"

It wasn't his fault for abandoning Komaru or letting the world get to him...right?

"Kirigiri..."

Her face was burnt in his memory...the way her body flew and he swore he could join her then and maybe hold her so close and whisper his own insecurities, but, it wasn't to be, was it? He had hesitated and he did it now while he still had the will to do more.

Why couldn't he have her too? Why couldn't his heart had been empty for her? She was always so guarded and yet, she fought on his behalf and was slowly starting to be human again. Why was it taken so sharply away? Why did she jump in front of him like that and all while taking the ending shot, neverending the cycle of kindness and leaving it all to him. Why?

It felt so scalding on his hands and yet, his sobs were loud that he feared he would drown the whole world and yet, everyone could survive, right? What could he do now that he lost his Evoker?

"You don't need that self-doubt now. You can still go to Tartarus...it will open to you. There's still time. Midnight is still here. You can go and no one can stop you this time."

"But, I don't have my Evoker...what would I accomplish alone?"

"Here you go."

The Evoker shined in the glare of the moon through Naegi's window and somehow without any thought to deter him, he treasured it closely and all he could do was avenge what had been lost. He'd have to fight his way to the top of Tartarus alone, it seemed like. He'd do it alone to atone.

He'd do it for Kirigiri and anyone lost to the void of death.

Memento mori

And in that moonlight, the acronym of his team's name became clearer: SEES (Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad) and he'd go forth.

Evoker