Chapter 12: Stay with me

-Eva's POV

"Girls... run to your rooms and hide in the safe room!" Mom yells while trying to usher us upstairs.

"Mom, what is going on?" I ask while hearing the pounding of fist on the front door. I'm running with our baby sister Leila in my arms.

"There are some bad people here and I don't want them to see you... Now don't come out til I come to get you-" She opens the door to safe the room and turns back towards me. "Do you understand girls?" She looks at me panicking.

"Yes mom but-" She pushes us in when we hear a loud crash come from downstairs. She locks the door and says "Eva, always look after your baby sisters... I love you girls." 

I watch as she leaves the room. A few minutes go by before l hear a toe curling scream. I sprint to the safe room door and i'm about to open it when Cara stops me. She begins frantically shaking her head no while tears are streaming down her face. 

"Pretty princesses... come out, come out wherever you are?" A man is slowly tiptoeing into our bedroom. He is wearing all black with big boots. He has a tattoo of a relic traced around his eye. I pull Cara behind me and hand her Leila and brace myself in front of them. He searches all around the room as we watch him until he finds the door to the safe room. "Ah... don't my princesses want to play?" He taunts looking at the door. I grab a knife that was hidden in there and hold it tightly while continuing to watch the man.

He runs downstairs to get something and comes back up a few minutes later. He presses something to the lock pad and the door clicks to unlock. I charge at the door and the moment it is open, I lunge at the man and stab him in one of his eyes. He stumbles back and falls in pain before re-balancing himself and coming after me. "You pathetic little bitch!" He spits out.

He stomps toward me but not before I shut the door again to the lock room. He pulls me by my hair and drags me into the room. I can see he has a gun in his hand. I begin thrashing around and screaming. He throws me on our bed and begins trying to climb on top of me. I can see Cara's fearful eyes through the slit in the panic room door. I look back to the man who is currently on top of me trying to choke me. "If your daddy would have just paid, none of this would have to happen!" He says looking at me straight in the eyes while i'm loosing consciousness.

I use what power I have and start pushing my finger in the eye that I just stabbed. The guy lets go of me and begins stumbling back off of me dropping his gun and standing up trying to hold his eye. I reach for the gun and look at the guy who is now aware that I have it. I look him in his one eye before saying"Better luck next time."

I pull the trigger and watch this man fall to the ground. I run to the panic room door and tell Cara "I'll be right back, i'm going to check to see if there are any more." I see her nod and pull Leila closer to her chest. 

I run downstairs and look around the house. There doesn't seem to be anyone else here but I can't hear mom either. I slip in fall at the entry to the kitchen. My legs are soaked. I hit my head really hard on the counter but I try to focus my sight back on the figure laying in front of me. It's my mom. She is dead... She has a knife lying beside her and one of her fingers is missing. The man cut off her damn finger to get into the safe room. I begin cradling mom until I hear sirens coming. I'm am covered in moms blood and loosing consciousness. I let her go and stumble back upstairs holding my head. I barely make it to the safe room door. I don't want anyone to get my sisters so I prop my body in front of the door to the panic room. The last thing I remember seeing is a medic running towards me before my eyes grew to heavy and I let them shut. 

I shoot up gasping for air as I wake up from that horrible memory. I can feel my breathing is heavy. I wipe my hand across my forehead and feel the sweat that has accumulated on it. I take some deep breaths to slow down my racing heart. I feel next to me and realize that I am still laying on Leila's bed with Cara and Leila still asleep. 

I grab my phone off the night stand and gently get up to head towards the door. I make out the door before I ask my phone for the time. 4:52 am. I walk down to the kitchen feeling the cold wood beneath my feet. When I reach near the kitchen, I begin hearing sounds. I stop for a moment before the smell of apples and cinnamon comes to me. Maria

I walk into the kitchen in set down at a bar stool. "Good Morning Maria." 

"Jesus!" She shrieks and turns around abruptly from the stove. "Trying to give me a heart attack?" She states out of breath. I shake my head no as I feel her come around to one of the bar stools beside me. "Why are you up so early my dear?"

"Just couldn't sleep, what about you?" I ask while laying my head on the cold counter top. 

"I am always up early to start tea and coffee for your uncle and myself." She says while beginning to stroke my hair. Although I am not used to it, It feels nice so I do not stop her from doing it. I take a deep breath in exhale while closing my eyes. "I noticed how much you care for sisters. It's a very powerful love you have for them." 

"It's my duty... I'm there older sister." I say keeping my eyes closed. I feel her stop stroking me and gets up to get something. She comes back a few minutes later with some tea and places it in front of me. 

"It's more than that dear..." She takes a pause before continuing. "You look at them as if their your own and they look at you like your their mother." I take a sip of the warm mint tea. "It's a lot to put on your shoulders my dear."

I feel her hand on my back but don't say anything. I finish my tea and thank her before heading back upstairs. I turn back around at the entrance and look towards her direction. "God only gives us what we can handle... My sisters are my life and I would do anything for them." 

I begin walking upstairs but stop near the entrance to Leila's room when I notice a presence beside me. "Uncle, may I be excused from training today. I need to be with my sisters when they wake up."

"Yes Eva, we will continue tomorrow." Uncle says before giving me a kiss on my head and continues walking. 

I push the door open and go back to laying where I was with my sisters. I throw my arms over them before hearing Leila whisper in her sleep "Stay with me, please." I kiss her forehead and stroke her hair.

"Always.."