Chapter 27: Trust

-Eva's POV

"Eva, let's go." Cara says as we are walking out of the school. The rest of the day went by about the same as the morning. I constantly could hear people whispering about me. Danielle was only in one class with me but stayed clear of me for the most part. Asher was practically glued to my side whenever he could be. Not that I'm complaining. That Michael kid kept staring at me from a distance but didn't come near me. I feel another tug on my arm pulling me out of my thoughts. 

"Good Afternoon ladies." Lucas greets us as he opens the door for us. Cara slides in followed by me. Lucas shuts the door and runs over to the driver door and gets in. "How was you first day ladies?" 

"Dramatic." Cara sighs dramatically. I chuckle at her. 

"It was high school Lucas." I say while turning towards the window as he pulls us out the spot and drives us home. 

"Hey Eva.." Cara says nervously while fidgeting with her hands. 

"Hmm" I say still look at the window. 

"Parker asked me out on a date..." She mumbles out causing me to stiffen. "I would really like to go. I know how you feel about it but I promise I will be fine. I will even carry the dagger you gifted me but please don't be upset." She says all in one breath trying to rush through it. I feel a slight tug at the corner of my lips that I try to suppress. 

"Cara do you trust him?" I ask finally turning towards her. I know how she feels however she needs to know how she feels. 

"I really like him Eva and yes... Yes I trust him." I smile and embrace her in a hug. 

"You still have to take my gift with you and have to be home at a decent hour." I say pointing a finger at her and playfully glaring. She just giggles in response and hugs me again. 

"Thank you sis!" She whispers to me as I rub her back up and down. 

-Asher's POV

"I can't believe you didn't ask her?" Parker says getting into my hummer. I shake my head but think about today. Eva was incredible today and didn't take any shit from anyone. She carried her head high and didn't let anyone's comments get to her. I am just so consumed by her. I wanted to feel her touch every minute I could and I didn't hesitate to take those opportunity when they were presented. She didn't seem bothered by it either. I liked that I didn't have to really talk with her. We could sit in comfortable silence and just enjoy each other's presence. She was my calm in the storm. She made my restless thoughts simmer just being near her. I wanted to ask her out but I just couldn't find the nerve to do it. Pussy... "Earth to Asher!" Parker says waving his hand in my face. "Dude your zoning out."

"Dude, I have to deal with my parent's remember?" I say pulling out towards my home. 

"Whatever man, I'm just happy that Cara is known as mine." He says grinning ear to ear looking at the window like the Cheshire cat off of Alice and Wonderland. I roll my eyes and smirk at my love struck friend. "She said she'd messaged tonight about the date." 

"She didn't give you an answer?" 

"Yes and no... She said she wanted to but wouldn't do it without talking to Eva." He sighs "I get the feeling Cara doesn't do anything without Eva."

I nod my head because I understand what he means. Eva did not release Cara unless Parker was around otherwise she would constantly want to be near her. She does the same thing with Leila. It was completely instinctive how they acted with each other. Eva seems to be protecting them both but from what? It's still a mystery even from me. 

"Hey man, I'll see you tomorrow okay?" He pats my shoulder before getting out of the hummer. I jump out and start walking towards my house as Parker runs off. I walk in and see my parents sitting in the living room. I try to walk past them but stop abruptly at the sound of my mother's voice. 

"Asher, come join us." 

"Mom, I'm kinda of tired so i'm-"

"Your mother said to join us son." I sigh and walk into the living room flopping down in a chair near them. 

"How was school honey?" She says sounding interested. 

"It was school mom." I shrug.

"I hear you have some new friends." My father chirps in. I turn my head towards him. How did he know?

"Who did you-" 

"Drake Willow happens to be a mutual business partner and he said he has been seeing you over at his house." I roll my eyes. Of course he would know him! My luck just sucks.

"What were you doing over at his house?" My mom asked looking confused.

"I was just hanging out with his nieces and the guys at his house." 

"Oh, are they nice?" 

"Their unbelievable." I mumble out under my breath. I then smile thinking about Eva and her amazing blue eyes. 

"Oh look Richard, he is smiling." My mom exclaims.

"Anything we should know about son." He says sounding intrigued. 

"If there is, I will let you know." I say as I stand up. "How long will you guys be home for?" 

"A few weeks while our business deal wraps up." My dad says wrapping his arm around my mother's shoulder. After all these years they are still in love. To anyone who looks at them would say they are polar opposites with my mother's small and timid figure while my dad is broad and stern. They are like magnets, my dad only is relaxed when she is around. If he is about to attack, my mom is the only one to pull him back to reality. I smile at my parents seeing how they compliment each other. 

I walk back up stairs and towards my room. I lay down on my bed and sigh closing my eyes. I picture my past and the woman I have been with trying to compare any of them to Eva but none of them even hold a candlestick. I sigh before grabbing my phone deciding to call her. 

Ring, ring, ring

"Hello?" He angelic voice rings through. I smile just picturing her. 

"Hey Eva... It's Asher" She giggles softly.

"I know who it is.." She trails off. I sigh before trying to figure what to say.

"Eva I'm sorry about this morning with Danielle, I-"

"Asher, it wasn't your doing so don't apologize... Okay?" I smile, she is too kind.

"Okay, so what are you doing?" I asked running my hand over my face.

"Currently trying to get popcorn made while Cara grunts about how no outfit is good enough for her date." I laugh.

"Parker's pretty ecstatic as well. He feel he needs to impress you." 

"Me?"

"Yea, Cara has made it clear that if you object that he has NO chance." She burst out laughing.

"Wow... well I will take that into consideration." She says still laughing. Her laugh is like music to my ears. It makes me grin even more. "Hey Asher, I need to-

BANG!

"Eva are you there?" The line goes dead. I look down at the phone for a minute trying to process what I just heard. I try calling her back but the phone goes directly to voicemail. Now i'm getting worried. I try again but same answer. Fuck this. I grab my jacket and keys and rush downstairs out the door to my Hummer. 

I rush over to Eva's house and run up to the door once I arrive. I knock on the door but no answer. My nerves are at an all time high right now so I pound the door harder. 

"Hold on, I'm coming..."

The door flies open and I take a step back. 

"What are you doing here?" I say in confusion.