Chapter 17: The Visit

-Eva's POV

After Lucas arrives, we headed out of the house. We were getting in his car when I felt eyes on me. Instead of turning around I continue walking until i'm in the car. I set back and run my hands down my pants. 

"Miss Eva, where would you like for me to take you?" Lucas says while adjusting his mirror to look at me. 

"Take me Uncle Drake, and please just Eva." I say closing my eyes sighing. He chuckles and starts up the engine taking me to my uncle's work. 

"Did you call him to make sure he was available?"

"I messaged him and he said he would make the time for me." 

An hour later, I feel us slowing down when Lucas announces we have arrived. Lucas gets out and comes around to open my side for me. He gently tugs my hand to help me out. He leads me in and we bypasses the front desk to head to an elevator. I feel him put his hand on the small of my back to guide me inside the elevator. I realize when we are heading up the elevator that there is no one else in it.

"Where is everyone at?" I ask gesturing my hand around the elevator. 

"This is your uncle's private elevator. Only him and I have the access code to use it." I nod my head when I hear the elevator ding open. 

We step out and he guides me to my uncle's office. Once we get there he knocks gently on the door. I here a faint come in before we step in. 

"Ah, Eva!" I hear the scratching of wood and then feel feet shuffling towards me. My uncle engulfs me in a hug but I sense someone else is looking at us. "Chris, this is my niece Eva." 

I feel uncle drake engulf me in his side. I rest my hand on his back. The other gentlemen walks towards me. I get a weird vibe from him but try to maintain my composure and give a gentle smile. He outstretches his hand for me to shake. 

"Nice to meet you Eva, I'm Chris Gantler." He says taking my hand in his hand and placing a kiss to the back of it. 

"Pleasure is mine Mr. Gantler." I say tugging my hand out of his. I feel him still staring at me causing me to feel uncomfortable. I tap my uncle's back twice to let him be aware. 

"Well Chris, we have plans so I hope you can excuse me." Uncle Drake says turning me towards the door. 

"Of course, I hope to see you again Eva." Chris says as we walk out the door. I don't reply to him. I feel Lucas has rejoined us as we get into the private elevator. 

"I don't get a good vibe from him Uncle." I state facing towards the doors on the elevators. 

"I wasn't particularly enjoying his lingering eyes on you either." He says throwing his arm over my shoulder. The elevator dings and we step out. I feel multiple eyes on us as we walk out and get into Lucas's car. "Lucas, you know where to go."

He takes his hand and places it on top of mine giving it a gentle squeeze. We don't say anything and sit there in comfortable silence. After another 20 minutes the car comes to stop. I roll down the window and can smell the salt water around us and the sound of crashing waves. Lucas opens my door and helps me out while my uncle comes to join me. 

"You stay here Lucas, we will be back in a little bit." Uncle Drake says taking my hand from Lucas's. He begins guiding me down what feels like a dock with the wood creaking under my feet. "What's on your mind lil one?" He says still walking beside me.

"Leila mentioned them today and I felt like I couldn't breathe... Memories seeped in and I couldn't shake them." I say taking a heavy breath. 

"Your not meant to forget Eva, you remember and move forward." He says stopping at what feels like the end of the dock.

"I need to find a way to remember without feeling like I need to collapse at the mention of them." I say putting my arms over the railing in front of me. I feel the ocean breeze gently waft over my cheeks. 

"When they are mentioned, what is the first thing that comes into mind?" He says standing beside me and resting his elbows on the rail.

"That night." I state simply.

"Instead of thinking of that night, how bout you think about a different memory. When that memory comes flooding back to you, take a second a rewind to different time." He states bumping my shoulder. He sighs and continues "I miss your mother dearly..." 

I smile and close my eyes and start playing with my fingernails. "She was definitely the most inspirational woman I have ever met."

"She was definitely one of kind. She could have me doing things I wouldn't have never imagined doing." He says chuckling more to himself.

"I miss her too." I say letting a tear escape down my cheek. I feel uncle rub his finger over my cheek to catch the tear.

"She would be proud of you." He says engulfing me in a hug. "You have a warrior's heart Eva and not to mention your mother's amazing grace... However I do think my smart ass attitude may have rubbed off on you." 

I laugh at him. He tightens his hold on me. "I am glad to be your niece." I say leaning my head on his chest.

"I am glad you are my niece." He says releasing me.

"It's okay to not always be the strength for your sisters Eva. They know you care but you have to take care of yourself as well." I nod my head. He begins to walk back towards a bench that is on the dock. 

"I take care of myself but they will always be my primary focus." 

"I know lil one... however you may not always be there for him." I snap my head in his direction at this statement. I feel him stiffen slightly due to my action. "I just mean that it wouldn't be bad if you showed Cara and Leila atleast some basic techniques."

"No. They will not have to do what I do!" I say harsher than I intended. 

"I'm not saying they would but it wouldn't hurt-" 

"I will NOT change my mind on this uncle." I state standing up.

"Okay" He says standing up beside me. 

"I'm sorry uncle, I know you mean well but they are already haunted enough." I say walking back towards the car.

"I understand Eva.." He says but I can hear the hesitation in his voice. "So about this boy Asher?" 

I laugh at him and hold my gut. "Seriously uncle?"

"What?" He mocks innocently. I continue laughing. "I just wondered if I would need to dig a grave for him and that boy Parker?" 

I stop and turn towards him. I smile and tilt my head at him. "If Parker hurts Cara, you know you don't need to worry... As for Asher-" I stop to think before continuing. "I don't know if I can risk getting involved with him as well as he seems to have many admirers so he won't miss me." I begin walking again. 

"Don't count yourself short." He says walking with me again.

 We get back to the car and get in. Lucas drives uncle back to work and drops me office at the house before he goes home. I get into the house and go up to my room where I get engulfed in a two pairs of arms. I hug them back and let my tears fall over my cheeks allowing them to hold me for once. I feel Cara gently stroke my back while Leila just continues holding me tightly. 

"I love you sisters..."