Chapter 51: Learning the truth

-Asher's POV

"He is dead" 

Just like that I see the pure anger vanish. Her face morphing between confusion to pure anguish. She drops the knife she was holding and her whole body becomes frozen. I turn her around trying to get her to focus on me. I try calling her name a few times but I can see the vacant look in her eyes. I pull her into my chest feeling her clutching my shirt as if it was a life raft. Who the hell was this guy? Did she love him?? 

"What is wrong?"

All our heads look towards the kitchen where Cara is holding Leila to her side. Their uncle looking intently at the shaking Eva in my arms. His eyes blazing ferociously snapping his gaze to Michael. Michael looks like he is about to faint from his gaze. Eva hesitantly steps out of my embrace making me hesitate to allow her to. She takes a waiver breath before directing herself to her family. 

"We are going to be attacked and I need to form a plan." Her fierce facade on full force. I watch as she walks quickly out of the room leaving us all standing there. I begin walking towards her when she takes off running. I chase after her watching her make it downstairs to their gym. She guides through running to the end of the gym where she enters a room locking a door. I try yanking it open but it doesn't budge. What the hell is this room??

"Eva, please open the door." I watch as she walks slowly over to a table putting on a headset. I bang my fist on the door and begin trying to rip the door open still looking through the window. I watch as Eva loads a gun. My nerves getting the best of me. I begin yelling through the window trying to get her attention. 

BANG

I stop seeing her take the first shot, then another and another. Her shots coming out quickly. She screams making my heart race painfully. I watch as her whole body slides down the table she was standing at. I for the first time saw who much she truly carried on her. I could feel my own heart torn at watching her body heaving from the tears racing down her cheeks. Her body trembling trying to work through the emotions. I felt so helpless not being able to reach her. She screams again covering her eyes. I begin yanking on the door again. I watch as her body collapse making me panic. 

"EVA!" I throw my body at the door trying to pry it open. "Fuck! EVA!!" 

"Move Asher!" I stop watching as Drake takes long strides towards the door. He quickly puts a key in opening the door. I don't wait to push through the door going directly to my warrior. I run my hands over her soft and wet cheeks. I gently pick her up in my arms bridal style. I turn around to Drake who takes her headphones off nodding for me to take her. I walk upstairs and head directly to her room. I lay her down on her bed crawling onto the bed with her cradling her to my frame. 

I hear a gentle knock on the door before Leila's head pops in. She walks over to the bed looking at Eva with a sorrowful expression. I see the tears gathering in her eyes before she takes a deep breath wielding them away. 

"Michael told us." 

I look down and run my fingers across her cheek. She presses her head farther into my chest. I look back to Leila who looks lovingly towards Eva before her eyes find mine. She searches my face before her knowing smirk appears. 

"It's not what you are thinking Asher." 

"What do-"

"I swear you are as easy to read as my books." I roll my eyes as she takes a seat on the bed by my feet. "He wasn't her lover. They were close but nothing ever came of it." 

"How could you possibly know that?" I ask raising an eyebrow. She smiles looking at Eva. 

"She refused to keep secrets from us. Eva wouldn't completely let him in. She was hesitant and for good reason... He betrayed her." She looks down letting her shoulders hunch before gathering herself again. "He gave me to his boss which in return made Eva get captured." 

"How could he?" She chuckles looking up to the ceiling. 

"If only I knew that." She plays with her fingers on her lap. "I told Eva to trust him but she was reserved. I truly just wanted my sister to be a kid for once and it backfired. I thought he was taking me for a surprise to give Eva." 

She pauses looking out as if running through a memory. "It definitely was a surprise."

"Did they hurt you?" 

"Nothing I couldn't handle." She smirks while I see tears brimming her eyes. "She gave herself without a second thought. I watched as the grabbed her roughly pulling her away from me. Her last word was a phrase we use often. прочность."

"What does tha-"

"Strength." She stands up looking towards her sister. "My sister possesses more strength than anyone could ever imagine. For 3 weeks after that only she knows what has all happened. She made it back to us though never telling us all the details." 

Her eyes snap to mine. "Alexander gave her up and turned his back on her. Michael said he betrayed his men feeling guilty for what he did to Eva. I know he truly cared for her but not enough..." 

She begins walking out of the room but just before walking out leaves me with her final thought. 

"She gave her whole self to you unlike anyone else. Don't betray her Asher." 

She closes the door leaving me to my thoughts. 3 weeks... 3 weeks she probably was tortured and yet she did it. Only to protect the ones she loved. She protected Parker. She protects her sisters... Who protects her?

I unconsciously tug her to my chest firmly. Kissing her head as I feel her steady heartbeat against my chest. No one will ever get her again. That is a promise I made silently to myself. She is mine to protect, mine to love... and I plan on never giving her up.