Chapter 50: He is dead

- Eva's POV

"What are you doing here Michael?" 

I ask still standing stiffly. Asher arm wrapped around my back rubbing my arm gently. He leans over kissing the side of my head which I sigh and attempt to relax. Nope, that didn't work! I open my eyes again and hear his feet shuffling closer. I am quick to react turning around grabbing a knife out of the block before swiftly turning it around towards him. He stops abruptly. 

"Eva, please wait-"

"Asher, you brought him hear. Do you think you are in any better off than him?" I seethe out still pointing the knife at Michael whose eyes I can feel are trained on me. I keep my eyes locked on him. I feel Asher wrap his arm around my waist pulling me back against him. 

"You can stab him after he speaks if you don't like what he says." He shrugs his shoulder. I hear a scoff and the shuffling of feet. Michael goes and sits on a bar stool. 

"Once again Michael. What. are. you. doing. here." I emphasize each word. I feel him look at me before he looks down to the counter. 

"I have information you need to hear and a promise to keep." I scrunch my brows in confusion. 

"What the hell are you talking about?" 

"Please sit down and I will explain it all." His pulls out the stool next to him and it was my turn to scoff. 

"I'll stay right here. Continue." 

"Lucien knows you are here and he is mobilizing to attack within a week's time." 

My body automatically stiffens and I grip the handle of the knife tightly. Asher's arms coming possessively and protectively around me. His lips kissing my neck trying to relax me. I still stand there stiffly but close my eyes listening intently to Michael's breathing to see if it is speeding up. Nothing... shit, he wasn't lying. 

"How do you know this?" 

"My father is a part of Lucien's..." He trails off and I automatically shiver in disgust thinking about him. "He believes that I am helping him." 

"Are you?" I state crossing my arms still holding the knife. 

"No, I made a promise... I will not lie and say it hasn't crossed my mind but no, I can't go back on it." 

"What promise?"

"I promised someone that if you ever made it back to your uncle, to protect you and your sisters." 

"Who made you promise that?" I feel Asher stiffen slightly and listen hearing Michael's breathing accelerate. I automatically step forward but Asher's steel arms hold me to him. "Who Michael?"

"Alexander Vetrov" 

I chuckle humorlessly at that name. A lot of memories flooding my mind. 

Flashback

"Oh shit, I am so sorry. I wasn't paying attention." A masculine voice speaks lowly leaning down to help me pick up my phone. I stand there trying to catch my breath. 

I was walking home from the store when all of a sudden my body collided with a hard chest. I look down at the man who is now standing back up. I listen to his breathing to hear him out of breath. I smile noticing how he is looking at me. I feel a blush reaching my face. I drop my face as his hand reaches out with my phone. I take it giving him a small thank you.

"It's no problem, are you okay?" 

I nod my head while tugging my hair behind my ear. His fingers grace under my chin lifting my face up so he make look at me. I feel my heartbeat accelerate. 

"My God, you are beautiful.." 

I laugh awkwardly at his bluntness. He chuckles as well. 

"May I take you out for a cup of coffee sometime?" 

I close my eyes thinking about the first time I ever met that man. How he made me feel so special. How I allowed all my guards down thinking for the first time I could trust... 

"Eva, listen to me-"

"Don't" I say gritting my teeth feeling my hands tremble with the intensity of emotions pulsating throughout me. 

"He is dead." 

Just like that I drop the knife on the floor hearing the metal clink on the floor. My body frozen. Unknown emotions rushing through me. Asher turns me around in his arms trying to cup my cheeks. I can hear him speak but can't seem to comprehend his words. He is dead. The words keep lofting through my head. I feel Asher rub my cheek where tears have fallen. He pulls me into his chest where I grip his shirt firmly. 

"What is wrong?" 

All our heads snap to the door hearing Leila walk in. I hear multiple footsteps and realize she is not alone. I take a shaky breath and step out of Asher's comforting embrace. I look back to Michael who I can tell is looking towards my uncle completely petrified. 

"We're going to get attacked and I need to form a plan." 

I walk briskly out of the room leaving everyone standing there looking at my retreating form. I run down to the basement. Thundering footsteps I know to well following me. I pick up my pace running back to the gun range locking the door quickly behind me. 

"Eva, please open the door." 

Asher pleads from the other side. I turn and walk away putting on my protective headphones drowning out all the sounds. I begin unloading my gun on the target at the end of the gun range. 

He is dead.

He is dead. 

He. is. dead. 

I scream out slamming my gun down on the table before falling to the floor. I can't believe he is dead. I begin crying feeling all my frustration seeping out of me. For years the man who betrayed my trust has been a main source of my anger. He was why my sister was taken. He was the reason I was trapped. He betrayed me... Then why on earth was his only promise to keep me safe?? I screamed again placing my hands over my head pulling my neck down so my head was placed against my knees. I slowly close my eyes allowing my darkness to consume me for some time. Needing the escape from my racing thoughts. 

"I promise Beauty, you can trust me." 

So much for trust...