Chapter 49: Alexander

-Asher's POV

I sigh heavily looking at the daunting building outside the window. I check my phone once more to see if my girl had texted me. I quickly send her text saying I will be over after I get out. She is quick to reply. 

8:22 am (Eva) Your going to get tired of seeing me eventually... 

I grinned and quickly replied back before shoving my phone in my pocket. I turn around at the entrance of the school looking around at the faces. Most of them staring openly at me. I roll my eyes watching some of the girls trying to get my attention. I watch as Cara walks out of their car with Lucas sending me a glare before getting back in the driver seat. Cara automatically walks up to me having some guys checking her out as she walks to my side. Her arms wrapping around herself clearly uncomfortable. I throw my arm over her shoulder rubbing her arm. She gives me small thanks as I guide her into the school. 

Brody and Marcus already hanging out my locker. They give Cara a hug who looks completely out of place without her sister. Parker walks up to us hesitantly. He nods at the guys as he slowly pulls Cara into a hug which she returns. His eyes closing while embracing her tightly. It's been almost a week since everything went down and to say Cara still wasn't as comfortable with him would be an understatement. Parker has been a mess and taking it slowly with her. He has an evident small smile on his face while Cara whispers something in his ear. I smile for my friend but it fades realizing my girl isn't here and at home. 

"Hey Asher, are you still coming over after school?" Cara says standing beside Parker with her head laying on his chest. I tilt my head in confusion knowing I just talked to Eva. I nod my head at her as the warning bell goes off. I nod at the guys as Parker leads Cara to her first class. I begin walking away until a familiar screeching stops me. I cringe and slowly pivot on my heal to turn to the screeching leach. 

Danielle is walking towards me with less clothes than I have ever scene. A crop top barely covering her tits and a skirt only reaching right below her ass. I scrunch my nose in disgust still trying to figure out why I ever went for her. She walks up to me with a seductive smile. I instantly narrow my eyes at her. She begins to reach out to me but I am quick to grab her wrist and fling it away. 

"What do you want Danielle?" I say with a clip tone. 

"Aww baby, I have missed you." She says leaning forward. I instantly pressing my fingers to her head not letting her get closer. She pouts trying to look cute. 

"Don't call me baby. I'm not yours." I press on her forehead making her move back. An evil smirk coming to her lips. 

"Well I don't see that charity case around. We could-"

"I. DARE. YOU to finish that sentence. Eva is my girl, say anything against her and I will throw your skank ass into those lockers." My fist clenching with pure aggravation by this point. Her face finally registering my words. She gulps and steps back. 

"What on EARTH does she have that I don't!" She screeches into the now empty hallway stomping her foot like the stubborn child she is. 

I smirk and give her the easiest answer I will ever have to give. 

"Everything."

I turn around not giving her another second of my time. I walk into my class making the teacher roll his eyes but doesn't comment. I head to my seat where Marcus gives me a questionable look. I shrug and sit down beside him. 

Classes seem to go by to slowly. I text Eva a few times but she hasn't texted back. Once lunch arrives I'm quick to ask Cara who says she hasn't talked to her today. She said she talked to Leila who just sent basic a simple "she's fine." I decide to walk out of the cafeteria and try calling her. Leila answers the phone first. 

Hello?

"Hey Leila, is Eva around?"

Yep but she can't talk right now... Her voice trails off sounding nervous.

"Oh, what is she up to?" I ask intently. Leila hesitates before she sighs. 

I'm sorry Asher but I don't want to lie but I can't answer that either. My nerves going on high alert and muscles tensing. I pinch the bridge of my nose trying to not sound pissed. 

"Is she doing anything dangerous?" 

Oh Maria, what was that? Yep! Be right there- Got to go! Bye. I hear the phone click and realize she deliberately didn't answer me. I curse under my breath before raking my hand through my hair frustrated. 

"Is she alright?" 

My head snaps up at the voice. I guy saunters over to me looking at me questionably. I raise an eyebrow recognizing his face. Where the hell have I seen this guy? I continue to stare at him til he comes standing right in front of me with his hands stuffed in his pocket. It clicks finally. He danced with Eva at the charity ball. I narrow my eyes at him and put my lips in a thin line. 

"Is Eva alright?" He asks firmly this time. 

"Who the hell are you? Why are you asking about my girl?" I glare at him and he just shrugs his shoulder pissing me off further. 

"Look man, you can calm down. I owe her, that's it. I am not interested in her." I raise an eyebrow crossing my arms. "My name is Michael Gantler. She used to know someone close to me." 

"Why the fuck should I believe you?" 

"Cause whether or not you do, I want to protect her from the fucking assholes who are after her!" His voice raising in rage. I still stand there firmly not intimidated by him. He gets up in my face and I am about to push him when a voice stops me. 

"Asher, don't." Both our heads snap to seeing Cara walking our way with the boys standing protectively behind her. She walks directly up to us, her shoulders back and her face fierce. She looked intimidating and I smirked realizing she looks like her sister. "What do you know about my sister?"

Michael drops his head and looks back up at Cara with a soft expression... almost a broken expression. Parker walks up wrapping his arm around Cara who is still looking at Michael. 

"My cousin fucked her over and has been a fucking mess ever since. He told me to keep an eye out for her knowing she had her uncle near me. I thought originally to mess with you guys but then I saw what my cousin saw and couldn't. I am here to help." 

"Who is your cousin?" She ask calmly. He huffs once before looking directly at her. 

"Alexander Vetrov." 

That's all it took to see Cara's demeanor completely change trying to launch herself at Michael. Parker is quick to wrap his arms around Cara who looks like she could murder. She thrashes in Parker's arm while Mark and Brody come up behind to help him. I get tense seeing her reaction. 

"HOW DARE YOU?! THAT MOTHER FUCKER RUINED HER! HE ALMOST GOT HER KILLED!!!" She yells still trying to reach Michael. He looks at her with pleading eyes. 

"Cara, I am-" Her thrashing stops as she points her finger gravely at him. 

"Don't you DARE apologize. He handed our sister over to the head causing Eva to give herself up for her. She barely escaped with her life. Alexander was the sole person she trusted!" She spits out his name with pure disgust. 

"I know Cara but-" 

"Don't make any excuses. He got close to her just to betray her!" 

"You don't think I know this! He has run away from the Russian Mob after attempting to kill Lucien! He couldn't stand what he did!" His voice raising making Cara taking deep breaths. I stand there wide eyed listening to the exchange. Michael runs his hands down his face. "He made me promise to protect her before any harm could come to you girls. It was his last wish." 

Cara's face instantly falling and tears running down her cheeks. I watch as Parker turns her into his chest hugging her to his frame. He looks over at Michael asking the one question that Michael still hasn't answered. 

"Why should we trust you?" 

His eyes looking intently at each of us before giving us the one answer we needed. All of looking from one another before training our eyes back on him. 

"Because I know how to get this all to end without her getting killed."