Chapter 58: Aftermath

-Eva's POV

BANG

I close my eyes waiting for the inevitable. I relax my muscles falling to my knees. I realize I no longer feel anger, hatred, or regret. I feel... peace. They are safe. I continue to say it in my head. I see my sisters happy and safe. That's all that matters. I let a tear run down my cheek. 

"Eva..." 

I fall forward on my hands breathing heavy. I open my eyes and still can only see the darkness but the pulsing pain in my head and arm are proof enough that I am alive. I smile before I feel a hand on my shoulder. The touch warms me and I swiftly turn around and engulf my baby sister. I feel her body tremble in my embrace. I brace her tightly to me as I let out a laugh of relief. I pull back enough to cup her face keeping my eyes trained on her. 

"Who the hell taught you to shoot an arrow?" 

She smiles but then I feel tears run down the crease of my finger on her cheek. I scrunch my eyebrows at her before realization sets in. Leila shot Lucien. I pull her back to me internally cursing myself for making her do it. 

"You did Eva. I know you would never let me train so Maria helped me while you were at school. I never shot again before..." Her voice trails off as she attempts to turn her head however I hold her firmly and turn her body away from where I believe Lucien lies. I brush my fingers through her hair as I feel her muscles relax into me. "It's over." 

She makes it sound like a question but I nod while repeating her. I stand there in her embrace for a moment before I hear a familiar click. I am quick to turn Leila away from the sound just as a bang rings out in the gym and this time I feel the sudden sensation of falling as I hear a scream. My body plummeting into the darkness with no escape in sight this time. 

-Asher's POV

"EEVVVVVAAAAA!"

My body giving out. I sit there against the window watching as Leila races towards us as Eva lies in the middle of the ring in a pool of her own blood. I hear a click and the door swings open. Drake and Leila race out however I can't seem to get my muscles to work. I can't find my breath as I watch Drake quickly slide into the ring and gather Eva. 

"Damn it Asher! Move it NOW! That is YOUR GIRL!" Parker yells making my stiff muscles loosen enough to stand up and run on wobbly legs towards her. I get into the ring and go to hold Eva's hand. Drake still holding her tightly with tears running down his face. I look at her face now that looks like it is asleep. That is all I want it to be, her asleep. 

"Asher did you hear me?" 

I snap my head up to Drake who is looking at me. I look at him confused. He smiles gently and repeats himself. 

"She has a pulse." 

I couldn't help the smile that spread on my face as well as the amount of tears I felt racing down my cheeks. I couldn't stop crying. God I'm pathetic. I look back down at Eva and continue squeezing her hand. 

The next hour racing by with my eyes only on Eva as paramedics, police and ambulances arrived at the house. I couldn't even remember being ushered into the ambulance since I refused to let go of Eva's hand. Drake threaten to sue if they wouldn't let me be. I will always be grateful for him. Once we arrived at the hospital they quickly rushed her into surgery forcing me to wait in the waiting area. I am currently sitting here with my foot tapping staring at the doors. I feel Leila sit down on one side of me as Cara sits beside her. Leila take my arm tapping it once. I take a deep breath and look to her. Her bright blues reminding me so much of her sisters as I see her holding back the tears. Her face turns forward to stare at the door as well. I lean over and hug her side to me. 

"Thank you Leila." 

I whisper to her. I know she wouldn't be alive without her. I feel Leila take a shaky breath and nod her head. 

"What happened to Chris?" My eyes look over to Marcus. I think back to watching from the room as I see the two sisters hugging each other tightly when Chris raises a shaky hand with his gun pointed at Leila. The moment the safety came off Eva twist her body shielding Leila away from it. After the shot rang out, Chris went limp as the mayhem resumed.

"My father is dead." 

All our heads snap to Michael who has an ice pack to his head as he walks into the waiting area. I am about to charge but Leila puts an arm over my chest stopping me. I look at her with incredulous expression. 

"Don't" 

All eyes snap to Leila who looks to Michael with a questionable look but not of anger leaving me utterly confused. 

"Eva trusted you. She was faking her anger after you spoke to her." 

"Leila, she was-"

"No." Leila cuts off her uncle. "I know the difference by now. Her muscles slightly relaxed after you said something about a promise."

"I always keep my promises." Michael says gently. 

"You promise to protect her. You didn't fucking protect her!" I roar out and stand up as Leila comes in front of me. 

"Asher, that is enough." Leila says sternly. I look down at her seeing her stance just like Eva's. "It's over." 

"His father-"

"My father is dead. Lucien is dead. I have one final promise to make." 

All our eyes snap to him with confusion. He looks between all of us before taking a step to Leila. Cara is quick to react standing up and placing her body partially in front of Leila. Michael sees this action and haults moving any more. 

"I was told by Matteo that it is done. There will be no more coming after you. He guarantees it." 

I look confused and then look around to see if anyone understands who Matteo is? The boys along with Maria look as lost as me however the girls close their eyes as hold each other as tears fall down. 

"Who is Ma-"

"Matteo is now the head of the Russian Mafia, he is also-"

"Alexander's older brother." Cara finishes while looking down at her sister. 

I stand there with my eyes bulging and my mouth hanging agape. Cara opens her arm to me and I go in hugging them both. They are safe. It's over. It's over... Cara turns to Michael with a tear streaking face giving him thanks. I look to him as he bows his head before walking out of the hospital. 

"Eva Willow" 

We all quickly turn to the doctor standing next to the nurse. We charge them all making them take a step back by our sudden movements. They chuckle as their eyes drift over each of us. 

"All of you?"

"How is she Doctor?" Cara ask in a calm matter. The exact opposite of how I feel. 

"She is in recovery. The bullet did not hit her heart. We were able to remove it and get her stitched up. She lost a great deal of blood however she is strong. She will probably be out for some time but she will recover." 

"Can we see her?" Leila ask quickly. The doctor tells us where she is and that only immediate family will be able to come in. I slouch until I feel Drake grasp my shoulder pulling me along. I grin and walk briskly after Leila and Cara. We arrive at the room and I look upon my sleeping warrior. She looks so peaceful. For the first time all night, I feel myself relax. I go and sit beside her holding her hand in mine. She will be okay...