Chapter Five ~ Virgil

{Possible trigger warnings: kind of panicky at the beginning, not a full-on attack but he's definitely freaking a little, vague mention of drama, also some discussion of vulgarity but no actual vulgarity

If I miss something, I apologize and please let me know}

Virgil gripped the steering wheel of his car tightly, closing his eyes and trying to breathe.

He knew he was the last one to get to the apartment. His things weren't coming for two days so he'd be on the couch or on the floor.

Patton is in there, he'll know what to do if there are any issues, stop being such a baby about it and get in there!

Despite his pushy inner monologue, Virgil couldn't make himself move.

His phone buzzed and he flinched sharply, then took a deep breath, forcing himself to count the seconds the way Talyn had taught him.

Through the nose. In for four. One two three four.

Hold for seven. One two three four five six seven.

Through the mouth. Out for eight. One two three four five six seven eight.

It helped a little bit, so Virgil squeezed the steering wheel in his fists and tried again.

One two three four.

One two three four five six seven.

One two three four five six seven eight.

One two three four.

One two three four five six seven.

One two three four five six seven eight.

His phone buzzed again and Virgil slowly forced his hands to let go of the wheel. He watched his knuckles regain their color for a few moments, then reached for his phone.

There were several texts from Patton.

-Hey, are you going to be here in time for dinner?-

-The others are trying to decide what to eat-

-Virgil?-

-oh sorry you're probably driving-

-just let me know when you have time okay?-

Virgil chewed on his thumb nervously.

Part of him really wanted to just go home. Back to Talyn and Joan's for the night. He could tell Patton he wasn't going to have time to get over there until the next day. 

Who was he kidding, the other man would never believe him.

Pausing for a moment, Virgil looked up at the streetlights flickering on.

-I actually just got to the apartment-

The little dots that meant Patton was typing popped up immediately. Virgil took another deep breath and thunked his head lightly against the headrest of the seat, waiting.

-OH COOL!!!-

-Hang on I'll be down in a minute-

Virgil sighed and undid his seatbelt. He grabbed his duffel bag from the backseat and pocketed his keys and phone as he walked towards the brightly lit lobby of the apartment.

He saw a familiar figure bouncing towards him after a minute and waved, already feeling tired. Work had been... stressful. Hopefully Patton would be willing to help him past their roommates.

"Hi Virge! How are you- how was work- oh my god we've been having the greatest time-"

"Pat." Virgil held a hand up, feeling a yawn coming on. "Long day. I need sleep."

"Oh gosh right I forgot you had a long shift today!" Patton facepalmed. "Lets get you upstairs and see if we can figure things out, you don't have your stuff tonight, do you?"

Virgil shook his head. "It's not coming for two days."

"Well darn... we'll figure something out, don't worry." Patton smiled. "C'mon."

"What do you think of the other guy?" Virgil asked as they walked to the elevator.

"Oh he's so nice! He said I was gorgeous and asked if he could do my makeup- I said yes of course the face he made was precious and I do like getting dolled up every once in a while- I remember in third grade I let a couple of my classmates color my face with markers so it looked like I had makeup on-" 

Patton chattered on, and Virgil was half listening, but his entire body was screaming that it was time to give up for the day and he just couldn't focus.

The elevator dinged, and Patton skipped out into the hallway. Virgil yawned quietly and shuffled after him.

The door Logan had led them to the other day when they checked out the apartment. Virgil could already hear a voice behind it and he had a sinking feeling in his gut.

Patton marched up to the door and knocked his knuckles on the center three times. Virgil shifted his bag on his shoulder and braced himself.

Logan opened the door, adjusting his glasses. He nodded to Virgil, his lips twitching up in a little smile.

"Virgil, glad you could make it... long day at work?"

"'Long' doesn't even begin to cover it." Virgil shook his head as he and Patton entered the apartment. "My things aren't coming until Friday either, so I'm stuck with a couple outfits and a blanket."

"Doesn't look like you get much sleep either way, Marilyn Morose," a voice put in from the couch. Virgil turned to face his last roommate.

"I can get you a full coverage concealer if you want to get rid of those Gucci bags under your eyes." The man grinned, leaning back on the couch and tipping the wine glass in his hand forward a little.

"They bring out the color of my eyes." Virgil retorted, crossing his arms and slouching back a little bit. He was automatically on the defensive at that tone.

"Roman." Logan admonished quietly, crossing the room and picking up a few paper menus that were sitting on the island counter.

Virgil swallowed the apprehension that was building up in his chest, keeping his cold gaze evenly on Roman. "No, it's fine Logan. I always did like a bit of bons mot between roommates."

Logan looked back at him. "You speak French?"

"A bit." Virgil shrugged. "Mostly curse words."

"Classy." Roman chuckled.

"I speak two languages fluently." Logan set the stack of menus on the coffee table. "And I can use vulgarity in four more. It is not uncommon."

"Yeah, see?" Virgil pointed at Logan, then yawned again. "God, I need to go to bed... if only I had one."

"I've got an air mattress!" Patton suggested. "Here, I'll get it for you come on."

They made their way into the hallway and walked down into the room Patton had claimed. Immediately he turned around, looking concerned.

"What's wrong?"

Virgil sighed heavily and dragged a hand over his face. "Patton... he's the guy."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you remember that issue three and a half years ago or so?"

Patton frowned for a moment, confused, then his eyes popped wide and he made a face of understanding.

"Oh. Oooooh."

{Yeah there's drama. It will be explained later (probably much later, we'll see what happens}