Chapter Fifty-Eight ~ Patton

{Possible trigger warnings: minor head trauma, some blood, talk about concussion and nausea/vomiting, guns (of the laser variety), some swearing

If I miss something, I apologize and please let me know}

Okay.

Maybe this hadn't been the best idea.

Patton could hear Virgil and Roman arguing a few feet away from him, and he crouched even farther into the little cranny he'd found.

"We're just looking for Patton and Remy. How the hell did those two manage to be the last team standing?" Roman complained.

"You tell me, you were the one so insistent on going after Emile and Logan." Virgil retorted. "And then Dorrian and Kai were right there, and then and then and then, and now we have to search."

Patton held his laser gun to his chest to hide the lights as his roommates walked past, both sweeping their guns back and forth. Concealed in this dark corner, he wouldn't be noticeable at all.

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he gritted his teeth, praying Virgil and Roman hadn't heard. They were too busy being irritated with each other to notice.

As soon as they were out of sight, he pulled his phone from his pocket carefully.

Little Drummer Boy 💙

-meet me by the door-

-I'm hiding in the shadows so just come this way and I'll get you-

Patton chewed his lip and pocketed his phone without answering. He'd see him in a moment.

He listened for Virgil and Roman coming back, then darted quietly through the obstacles and towards the door. When he got close he turned around, squinting into the darkness and trying to spot the other team.

"Hi baby." Remy's voice in his ear made him jump.

"Don't do that!" Patton hissed, clapping a hand over his mouth. "You scared me!"

"Sorry. Do you know where the others are?"

"I was about halfway across the room and they passed me just before you texted." Patton pressed himself against the wall of the arena. "The others are up on the viewing deck and I think they can see us, but Roman and Virgil definitely can't."

"Good. Lets try to find them, I'll go first and you watch my six. If we can catch Virgil off guard I think we'll be able to get them both." Remy adjusted his sunglasses, which were hooked to his shirt, and snuck forward.

Patton followed, watching  behind them nervously. Virgil was good at this kind of thing, it was like bringing a video game to life for him. He glanced at Remy from time to time to make sure they were still close.

Now that he wasn't by himself, he wasn't nearly as scared. Sure it was still terrifying, knowing that they were essentially playing a two on two battle, but at least Patton had someone to lean on and stay with.

That's why they played teams in the first place.

Patton saw what he thought was a flash of movement and frantically turned to warn Remy.

"OW!"

He stumbled backwards, seeing stars. Remy gasped and dropped his gun.

"Holy sh*t- I'm so sorry!"

Patton leaned against the wall, pulling his glasses off and gingerly feeling the bridge of his nose. His fingers came away wet and he made a face.

"Gotcha- Jesus Christ what happened?" Roman abandoned his laser gun as well as he saw the carnage.

"I hit him in the face on accident, Patton I'm so f*cking sorry-" Remy looked horrified. "C'mon, lets get you to the front desk I bet they have a medical kit."

"Here, let me take those." Roman gingerly took Patton's glasses from him. "I'll let the others know what happened and we'll meet you there."

Patton held one hand under his nose, then his other under his chin just in case. It didn't really hurt as much as he would have expected to, more of a dull ache than anything.

"I'm taking you out for dinner, I'll buy you new glasses if they're broken, I'm so so sorry-"

"Remy, it's fine!" Patton managed a laugh. "I'm not going to die, it was an accident, it's okay."

"I could have broken your nose!" Remy insisted, worrying over him. "You could have a concussion!"

"I'll be okay! Let's just go over and get it cleaned up." Patton shook his head a little.

They made their way out of the arena and to the front desk of the arcade, Remy shooing people out of the way. They probably made quite a sight, two guys with wild, bright hair hurrying between games with one of them bleeding.

"Whoa, what happened here?" One of the workers asked when he saw them.

"We turned around at the same time and I hit him in the face with my gun." Remy grimaced.

"You're making a bigger deal about this than it is, Remy, it's fine." Patton smiled as the worker pulled out a medical kit from beneath the desk. "It was an accident."

"Well you're taking it pretty well. Can you tell me your full name?"

"Patton Donahue Albrecht." Patton chirped. "I just turned 28 not long ago, and Remy and I are here with my three roommates and some other friends and significant others."

"Alright, so you're not confused about things, that's good." The worker gently dabbed Patton's nose with a wad of tissues. "Do me a favor and stand on your left foot for a few seconds."

Patton did as he was told, and when the worker nodded again he put his foot back down.

"It seems like you're fine. If you start getting bad headaches or you feel nauseous or like you're going to throw up, you should go to a doctor." He pulled a bandage from the kit. "A person's concussion limit or tolerance can be very different, and it's really interesting... I used to play field hockey."

Patton took the bandage from him and gently put it over the injury, then turned to Remy and stood on tiptoes to kiss him quickly.

"You're cute when you're worried."

Remy grumbled, crossing his arms, then looked over Patton's shoulder. "Incoming."

"Patton! Are you alright?" Virgil seemed almost as worried as Remy, if not more. "What happened?"

"Remy smacked me with the laser gun, but I'm okay! It was just a little blood, not a big deal." 

"It was too a big deal!" Remy threw his hands in the air, exasperated. "We just went over the possibility of you having a concussion!"

"But I don't. I doooo have to eat though, I'm starving." Patton grinned. "Let's go get food."

{This is pretty much exactly what happened on my first date with my ex - he wouldn't talk to my dad for a week because he was scared. My dad thought it was hilarious. I also wore bandaids over the bridge of my nose for like a month in an attempt to keep it from scarring... didn't work lol and I think I have a little crack in the top of the bone of my nose, but we never got it looked at because I didn't have a concussion

And the hair vote for Remy goes into effect next time he shows up}