Chapter Thirty-One ~ Logan

{Possible trigger warnings: mention of panic attack, sickness

If I miss something, I apologize and please let me know}

Logan peeked into Patton's bedroom. "How are you feeling?"

Patton offered a weak grin and a thumbs up from the pile of blankets he was burrowed into. "Yucky, but I'll make it. I hope Roman isn't upset."

Logan checked his watch before answering. "I'll make sure he knows the circumstances, he'll understand."

It was the night of Roman's Miscast show, and Patton had come down with a raging fever around four in the afternoon. Roman was already out of the apartment, helping set up at the theater, so Logan and Virgil had made a quick decision.

Since he was still feeling a bit under the weather from his panic attack a few days earlier, Virgil had offered to stay home and take care of Patton. Even though their roommate insisted he didn't need someone watching him, he could barely lift a glass of water on his own and Logan knew better.

However, they'd agreed that Roman would be heartbroken if no one showed up to his show. Virgil didn't seem overly bothered by this, though Logan could tell he did feel a bit bad.

"What are you wearing?" Patton asked, trying to prop himself up a little more. He didn't get very far, but he was sitting upright enough to see Logan as he stepped into the room.

It was a semi-formal event, so Logan had elected for a pair of black slacks and a dark-blue shirt with small black polka-dots. He'd rolled the sleeves to his elbows out of habit, and his plain black tie looped loosely around his neck for the moment.

"Oooh, you look good." Patton giggled. Logan snorted.

"Thank you, Patton. Try to get some sleep."

He nodded and snuggled himself further into his little nest. Logan closed the door quietly and went into the living room.

"I'm on my way out, Virgil." He leaned into the kitchen where Virgil was chopping celery.

"Have fun. Tell Princey we're sorry."

Logan raised his eyebrows and his roommate looked up, rolling his eyes.

"I am, even if I find him extremely annoying."

Logan just nodded and grabbed his keys. 

He double-checked the destination as he started up the 'Cuda and backed out of the parking space. It was just across town, so Logan wasn't worried about being late.

Parking was more than enough of an issue. Luckily he had a 24/7 pass for the garage down the street.

When Logan handed the lady at the admissions desk his ticket, her eyes widened. "You have to wait right here."

"Very well... may I ask why?" But she was already bustling off, so Logan stepped to the side and resigned himself to wait.

"Oh my god oh my god oh my god you're here!"

Logan started to turn, but was slammed sideways by a weight before he could face the voice directly.

"I had this horrible pit in my stomach and I kept thinking you weren't going to show up!" Roman exclaimed, hugging him tightly for a moment. He pulled away and grinned at Logan.

"What... is on your face?" Logan went for the easiest of the questions that jumped into his mind.

"Makeup, silly! My first song is from the Addam's Family Musical." Roman grinned. "I put on a foundation light enough that people could call me pale- from what I normally am anyway- and the eyeliner and lipstick were just a few dollars at Walgreens. What do you think? I sent Virgil a snapchat and told him I looked like him... he flipped me off."

Logan chuckled a little. "There are certain parts of it that are similar. Speaking of Virgil, and of Patton-"

"Virgil texted me." Roman said quickly. "I totally understand."

"I assumed you would."

"Roman!" A girl stuck her head out of a door off to the side. "C'mon, you need to get in costume!"

Roman nodded and looked at Logan again. "I've gotta go- your seat is right in the front, okay? Look for the ones that say 'Tulio Guest' and take your pick. I'll see you after!"

He waved and disappeared through the door. Logan blinked for a few moments, a bit confused, then shook his head and went into the theater.

He found his seat in the front, choosing the middle of the group since Patton and Virgil weren't there. Taking advantage of the quiet moments before the show started, he texted Virgil that Roman's makeup looked vaguely familiar.

Logan shut his phone off, already anticipating the incredibly rude message he would inevitably receive in response.

The lights in the room darkened and the stage lit up.

There were a few performances before Roman's, then the lights on the stage came up on Logan's roommate and he froze.

All black was not a look that Roman wore often, but he wore it very well. The strings started and he heaved a dramatic sigh, leaning on a dark couch that had been placed center stage.

"I don't have sunny disposition,

I'm not known for being too amused.

My demeanor's locked in one position,

See my face, I'm enthused."

Roman crossed the stage as he sang, his natural penchant for dramatics serving him incredibly well.

"Suddenly however I've been troubled,

Bunny rabbits make me want to cry.

All my inhibitions have been muzzled,

And I think I know why!"

Roman pressed a hand to his chest and Logan noticed that his nails were painted. He frowned at himself, wondering why he'd latched onto such a strange thing.

"I'm being pulled in a new direction,

and I think I like it. I think I like it."

The smile he flashed the audience was so genuinely soft, it was rather impressive. And that was all it was, Logan told himself firmly.

"I'm being pulled in a new direction.

Through my painful pursuit, 

Somehow birdies took root,

All the things I detested impossibly cute.

God! What do I do?"

Roman dropped onto the couch and rested his chin in his hand, sighing dramatically. 

"Mother always said be kind to strangers,

but she doesn't know what they destroy.

I can feel the clear and present dangers,"

He leapt to his feet and locked eyes with Logan, reaching out towards him as he crescendo-ed into the switch.

"When she learns, that the boooooy-"

Logan's breath caught in his chest. 

Roman kept singing, returning his attention to the stage and the performance, and Logan tried to calm his racing heartbeat. Something about that beaming grin had gotten his attention in a manner that he'd never felt before. 

{Look me in the metaphorical eyes and tell me that Thomas Sanders singing a Miscast version of Pulled wouldn't be absolutely AMAZING}