uno

"today is the big day." said zach, his friend, patting him on the back.

daniel let out a sigh when he heard that phrase for the fifth time that morning. in addition to being nervous he was beginning to feel stressed.

"why is today the big day?" asked margo, another of his friends, intervening curiously in the conversation.

"today, daniel is going to say to jonah that he likes him," zach said in a mellow tone.

saying it out loud made daniel tremble.

"jonah?" margo asked with a slightly fearful tone. "i think..."

"yes, i totally agree. i didn't think he could do it either." zach interrupted her.

"hey, i'm still here." said daniel, raising his hand to attract the attention of both of them.

"i wasn't going to say that." said margo, ignoring daniel's comment. "i just wanted to warn you that maybe... that... that jonah."

"drop it, margo." zach said rolling his eyes.

"i don't think jonah is interested in guys." said margo softly.

what the blonde wanted less was to hurt her friend but she knew that daniel needed to hear it once.
and daniel knew it too.
he knew perfectly well that there weren't too many possibilities, maybe any possibility, in which jonah end up saying, i like you too.

the fact that margo said it aloud made everything more hard for daniel.
it made him not want to do it. but he had been crushed in jonah for a long time and he needed to take it off.

the three of them arrived in the hallway of the high school and walked towards their lockers, dodging the chattering students and the freshmen who were new and still nervous.

the first day wasn't the best for anyone.
not even for the most popular ones, daniel thought.

"and what will you tell him?" zach asked as he pulled some books out of his locker.

zach almost didn't have classes with Daniel today, so he took advantage of those moments to find out everything about the big announcement.

margo on the other hand kept on dodging people and trying to ignore or at least forget those hurtful comments from students about her freckled face to reach her locker that was on the other side.

"well... just the truth. " daniel bit his lip and thought about the way he wanted to tell him. he had been preparing this for a long time. "i'll tell him that i like since i was nine years old, when corbyn laughed at me for drinking too much apple juice and he defended me." daniel remembered that day as if it were yesterday.

from that moment jonah became like his hero.

zach frowned when he heard him "that's very cheesy."

zach had never been one of those guys who liked to show his feelings, unlike daniel.
the blue eyed boy didn't mind complaining, getting angry and crying, if he needed to.
but zach though that was pure weakness.