Chapter Five

After almost two hours, the doctor finally came out of the theater where Toun was been operated. All the time while the surgery was going on, Tobi left to do some work at the house. Nathaniel sat deep in thought. He was worried, thinking about the kind of life their unborn child is going to have and how it would feel to be a father.

Every time he sees Toun and see her belly, he always feels an unexplainable joy that he can't express and also proud. But when he is alone, he thought of the kind of life he want his unborn child to have. He don't want her to have the kind of life that he had. His life had been a hard one since he was young. He knew he will be graduating soon but there is no guarantee that he will be able to get to a good job immediately. That is the problem of the country. It was harf securing a job except you are wealthy or had a good connection.

He also want to give Toun a good life, that kind of life she was bought up in, the one she had always know. That was his wish. He want the best for Toun and their unborn child. He wants to be able to prove to her parents that he is worthy to her and could take care of her. He never love the life he had and he can never wish the people he love to have the kind of life he had.

Another thing to be worried about is Toun parents. They were his biggest challenge. His biggest threat and fear. He just hoped they could have a change of heart on what they see him as. He was scared that Toun parents would find out about their relationship when the child is born. He understands that they can't keep the child and their relationship a secret forever. And those people don't like him. They don't even want to see eye to eye with him. He disgust them. All because he was poor and a son of a nobody. He was like a taboo to them. All they want was for him to stay away from their daughter. They think he doesn't deserve their daughter. He was nobody to them. They want their daughter to stay away from him but it hasn't work that way. And since the last humiliation, they had thought they were no longer together.

He knew Toun can't run away from her family forever and he knew she love her parents very much despite she never have and will never admit it. They gave her everything she ever wanted and despite they were overprotective they want the best for her.

He loves her and he don't want to lose her. He still pray and hopes that his mother will accept their relationship too someday. Since he has told her, she hadn't mention it and that means she hasn't give her support. He knew she was just worried and with time she will give him a chance.

He was still sitting in the reception room deep in thought when the  doctor came out of the theater with the mid wife. They approached him after the mid wife had nodded in his direction. He was woken from hid thought when the doctor tapped his shoulder gently. He jerk awake and quickly stand up when he realized it was tge doctor and midwife, while internally his heart was beating very fast.

"Congratulations Mr..."

"Adeolu. Adeolu Nathaniel" He quickly said to the doctor.

"Okay Mr Adeolu." He had an igbo accent but he pronounced it well. "Congratulations your wife had delivered a baby girl."

He breathed out in relief. He didn't know he was holding so much breath. He was so scared. And he exhaled deeply and his eyes stung with tears while his heart throb with relief joy and excitement. He could finally breath well. His girlfriend had delivered safely. His baby is also alive. He was a father. He was a father. He thoughts with joy.

"How is she? Is she okay?" Nathaniel asked, hoping.

The doctor smiled. "Of course, she is fine. You can see her in a bit. The nurse will come to tell you when to see her."

He nodded and shake hand with the doctor. And he left. Nathaniel smiled beaming with joy and relief. He sat down back on the seat, cover his face with his palm and he cried quietly to himself.