Chapter Twelve

Nathaniel ended the call with Toun and he sat on the chair in his room looking out through the window, thinking about the decision he just made. He didn't have it in my mind to propose to Toun anytime soon. Not because he doesn't want to but because of her family. He didn't expect them to call her. So do she. And she decided to use the opportunity to tell them about their relationship.

To be quite honest, he was deeply scared. Damn scared when Toun told him that her father called her and wanted to talk to her. He thought he want to talk about them probably he had found out about their relationship and their child or to give her out in marriage like most rich men do all in the name of securing their wealth and position. The latter had scared him the most.

He don't know what he was going to do if Mr Joseph decided to force his daughter into a marriage she does not want. And in all honesty, they was little they could if that was the case except to run away. For him it might be easier to do so but it will forever taint his name. Toun father would make sure of it. His mother won't be at peace either and they can't take her away because of her condition. She was also attached to the house where she lives which belonged to her husband, his late father.

And also, there was their daughter. It was hard enough for her to see her mother two weekend in a month and moving from one state to another just to visit her own mother. They can't take the girl around all in the name of hiding from her own maternal grandfather. What kind of future will she have?

Toun was successful and her parents are wealthy and popular couples. Where on earth can they hide forever that they won't later find out. And most of it would be on Toun's head. She will be the one leaving ber family just for him. She would be the one who won't see her family again. She would be the one who becomes the black sheep of the family. She would be the one who disobey her parents. And she would also be the one making the hard decision and taking care of all the responsibilities until he get a job. And God knows until when.

It was very hard thinking about it. And everything seems overwhelming.

But fortunately, it was something else. But he think his worst fear would happen soon. Now that they have know about their relationship and are against it, they would do anything to take their daughter away from him. They would made her believe they are good men out there worth her time and who can give her all that he can't afford.

Thinking about it hurt. All this crossed his mind as he listened to her on the phone crying and at the same time telling him about what happened.

To please her and make her happy and also not to lose the woman he loves, he had to make a quick decision. He had to go against his own words and propose to her.

He knew Toun had always wanted to get married and be his wife. She had been waiting for the day he would eventually ask her. But he had been holding back because of his condition and her parents. He want them to give them their blessing. And he also wanted them to know about their grandchild. He did not want to do it behind their back. And that is why he never asked her.

But in that moment, the only thing that can give her hope and makes her happy was for him to grant her wish. At least, her parents already know about them, whether they didn't give their consent or not. They know.

They can't keep waiting for the day they will get to accept him. Which might never come. And he doesn't want to lose her either. If he didn't propose on time, she might thought he wasn't serious about their relationship. They've been dating for eight years and before her parents would come up with a way of hooking her with another man, he needed to act fast.

If he was told he would asked for Toun hand in marriage on the phone, he would have confidently disagree. He had many beautiful thoughts on how to propose to her since the day he knew she is the one for him, the woman he love and want to spend the rest of his life with. But he had to propose in the most awkward way ever. In the least expected way and deep down, it hurt him.