Chapter Ten

Dedicated to Gift Taiwo

Mr Joseph looked up at his daughter and his mood suddenly change. He ended the conversation he was having on the phone and he quickly gestured for her to enter the room.

She seems a little surprised by the gesture. And she pondered on ehy he was acting differently. And she thought it was probably because he missed his daughter so much. But nevertheless, she was glad with the action. It wasn't everyday that her father act so cool.

She walked into the room. Her father stood and he opened his arms. She grinned and fell into his embrace. It was something that was rare.

Her father never liked anything too intimate. Even her mother always complained he was never romantic. She told her sometimes she wonder how she had managed to fell for him. He expressed his love casually like it was something he does always but she knew when he was emotional.

And she guess that was what love is.

"God you have change a lot." He exclaimed. "You are looking like the younger version of your mother. It's been so long."

"Yes. I miss you. I miss home." She said truthfully.

They settled down to talk. She talked about her work and how she love it despite it been stressful. He also expressed some things about his business.

Her mother came knocking. She popped her head in and she smiled when she saw her husband talking cheerfully with their daughter. She didn't need to ask permission before she let herself in.

"As much as I don't want to disturb your father-to-daughter conversation, I have to because I can't let my daughter die of hunger in my house. " She said and Toun smiled.

Both of her parents were in their best mood today. Not that her mother was not always chatty but they were both beaming in a different way.

"I agree. Let go down and eat." Mr Joseph said standing up from his seat. Toun followed suit.

They all walked out of the office. Toun asked about her sister on their way down the stairs.

"She is at school. She will be home tomorrow."

"Is she not suppose to be serving now?" Toun asked exasperated.

Her mother looked at her with a sad expression.

Her father answered. "She had carry-over in some of her courses and she have an extra year."

"That's nonsense. Eunice is not serious with her studies and you are not scolding her." She complained.

"Every one is not like you Toun. and be patient, you are different from Eunice." Her mother defended her sister as always.

She shook her head in frustration. It was not an excuse. Eunice had been very lazy and her parents are not doing anything about it. She was pregnant when she was in four hundred level in the university and she had a child in her last year in  school but she still made it out.

But she can't say that out to her parents at least not now.

******

Later that night, Mr Joseph called his daughter into their living room.

"Adetoun, I called you for something important." He said and paused. Then continued. "Do you know my friend Mr Patrick Egbowon." Toun tried to remember the named person. "He was my colleague at work. He has three sons who live abroad." Her father said to help her in remembering the person.

"Oh, I remember. Tokunbo father." Toun said quickly. "He gave you a huge painting of you and mom on your twentieth anniversary."

"You got it right." He said nodding. "He had open a law firm in the United Kingdom and he needs a good lawyer to run it. His youngest son who is the only one intersted in his father line of work is in his first year in tertiary institutions."

"So you want me to take the job? " Toun asked the obvious.

He nodded. "It's a good offer. You will get to go higher in your field. He want you for the job, he have heard of your reputation."

"Dad ,it a good offer but I don't want to go abroad." She said finally.

His countenance changed. "Why?"

"I love my job at Ibadan. I want to take it slow."

"Is there anything you are not telling me Toun?" He narrowed his eyes at her.

Toun heaved a sigh. She had to tell him. It was then or later. "Dad there is something I also want to tell you."

"And what is it?" He asked curiously.

"Dad, I'm getting married"

"Married?! To who? And you are just telling me?" 

She said. "Dad I am getting married to Nathaniel."

"Nathaniel? Who is that?" He asked, exasperated.

"My boyfriend."

"Don't tell me it's that guy from UI  the  guy I ask you to stay away from. That nuisance. The poor church rat with no career. That street punk." The man cursed, angrily.

"Dad!" She said trying to control her temper. "He has a career. And he is not a nuisance."

"Tell me then, what is he doing? How much is he earning monthly? Did he own a house of his own?"

"Not yet."

"How could you think of marrying such a person?" He glared. He shook his head in with disbelief.

"I love him dad and i believe in him"

"I WILL NEVER LET YOU MARRY SUCH A MAN. I WON'T LET YOU MARRY A SON OF A NOBODY!" He bellow. "Not while I am alive. What a shame!"

Her mother rushed in with her nightrobe looking worried.

"What is wrong with the two of you? What have you done to offend your father?" Mrs Mopelola asked her daughter.

"Can you imagine what your daughter is telling me?" He was more than angry. "She want to get married to that pervert whom we warned her to stop seeing some years ago. She didn't listen."

"Do you mean that man that go around with guitar who is trying to extort money from our daughter?" Mrs Mopelola asked hysterically.

"Mom! He is not trying to extort money from me. Can't you understand? Nathaniel is a good man. You just have to see him. And I love him." Toun defended her fiance.

"You don't know what is love. You can never marry that man." Her mother said with so much authority.

"I think we should talk about this tomorrow. I am tired." She said and she was not lieing.

Her head ache and it was trobbing and she was getting dizzy with all the noise.

She don't understand why her parents can't give Nathaniel a chance. Why they can't see how much she love him. And moreover, she is old enough to choose the kind of man she wants.

She stood. "I can't continue this. We will talk about it tomorrow."

"We are not done talking here." Her father voice echoed in the house and she jumped a little. But she wasn't giving in to them. She don't have much strength to continue arguing with them. Maybe if they sleep over it, they will change their mind. She thought.

"Good night" She said and walked away quickly while her parents barked her name.