Chapter Seventeen

"Why do you go without telling me?" Toun wailed at Nathaniel who sat on the bed staring at her. He had returned to Ibadan late in the night. And his wife had been curious about his whereabout. He had refused to tell her where he was going and his mother won't tell her either. The only reply her mother in law gave her was that it was for the best and they need to pray for him.

The next day happens to be a weekend and he finally decided to tell her everything. But she didn't take the news well.

"But I already told you now. " He answered her.

"That's not a damn excuse Nathaniel. You are supposed to let me know before going to see him. You should have told me. What if something had happen to you? You know my father dislike you."

"He doesn't dislike me, he hates me." Nathaniel said. "But thanks for the concern. I am here alive and well. He didn't eat me." Nathaniel teased.

"It's not funny Nathan. I am very angry at you." She glared.

"I told you, I am sorry. I know you will act this way."

"What way?" She asked angrily.

"This way. Shouting and angry and hot."

"Nathan!"

He smiled, stood and walked up to her. "Look, I am sorry. I did not want to make you worry that's why I didn't tell you. You have a lot on your plate right now. I don't want to add to it. I was sure I can handle it and that is why I decided to go without telling you. But I am fine." He told her, wrapping her arms around her waist.

She looked at him with concern
"I know that is not true." She was certain that Nathaniel was hiding his feelings with a smiling face. She knew he was hurting inside. "You can't be fine after your visit to my father." She said calmly but concern.

"I am fine." He assured her.

"You don't have to lie to me Nathan. I know my father very well and I know my father.... hate you. I know he hurt you. He must have say something or do something or threatened you. And it's all because of me. Look at what he made you go through at the gate post. He humiliated you again." She said as her eyes pool with tears.

It really hurt her with everything her father was doing.

"And I am very sorry for what he did." She apologized as a tears drop from her eyes.

Nathaniel used his hand to wipe the tears away from her face.

"It's okay. Seriously." He smiled and pulled her into an embrace. She wrapped her tightly around him.

"I'm so sorry Nathaniel." She said again.

"You don't have to be. It's not your fault."

"It is." She said then she pulled away and looked at him. "I need to go and see my parents."

"Are you sure about this? Your father doesn't seem like he is ever going to accept me."

"Let me talk to them. I will beg them, convince them, try to let them reason with us. I will do all I can do to convince them to let us be. Just trust me."

Nathaniel sighed and then nodded.

"If you say so. When are you going?"

*****

                        A case had took Toun to Lagos, so she decided to call her old time best friend who stay in Lagos with her family. They have gone separate way two years after they finished their degree. Tobi had got married and her husband was Lagos based. So they only communicate on phone. But work and family life had made everyone so busy.