Chapter Seven

The next day Nathaniel went out to stroll the neighborhood and also hi to few of his friends. And when he returned he was astonished to see how the house was. The house was very clean, the compound was swept and the clothes he had wore the previous day when he git home was already washed and spread on the rope in the compound.

His face curled up into a broad and proud smile. He knew his mother is a very strong woman and he was right when he told Toun that she can handle herself well.

He took a seat on the bench in the veranda and looked around at the neighborhood. He really misses home. Last night, he was so happy to eat his mother food. It has been long since he last ate her food. And he was able to sleep in comfort. He also miss his bed. Every night at the hostel, he always thinks of the comfort of his bed. He have one person to thank for the short happy experience - his daughter Annabelle. There was really no place like home.

****
He went back into the house later. After taking his bath, he changed into a fresh cloth from his wardrobe. He haven't seen his mother so he went outside of the house. She was on a stool with laundry of clothes in front of her. She was almost done with the washing.

"Mommy who owns all this clothes? They don't look like yours." He asked angrily.

"My dear, you are awake. Have you eaten?" She asked.

"That is not what I asked." He said rudely.

She washed her hand with the clean water beside her. She pointed to the bench in the balcony and asked him to bring it down to sit. He quickly did as he was told.

"I'm collecting clothes from people to wash for them and they pay me." She answered his question.

"But mom, what about your market?" He asked looking hurt.

"It's not going well. The sales are poor. I can't rely on it to feed myself and to send you money for expenses." She said.

"But mom I am fine. I can manage. You don't have to do all this. I don't like this." He point to the clothes inside the big bucket. "With your condition, you don't need to stress yourself." He said despite he know she had been doing hard labor work. He hate to see her work so hard in her condition. His father would have never let her work if he was alive. And that is why he is working hard to make money to pay his school fees and to buy handbooks.

He don't want to see her work so hard just for him. He don't want to be a burden and now it seems his effort is useless. He have to work extra hard to help his mother so she can stop working so hard.

She touched his shoulder understanding his expression. "I know how you feel, I don't like this either but I got to do this. You will be done with your studies soon and you will get a good job. It's just for a little while, okay?"

He exhaled sadly but he nodded slowly.

"About yesterday, what do you want to tell me?"

He was reluctant to tell her but he thought of Toun. He don't want to be the reason why she will fail or carry her courses. He will try to convince his mother then he will think of something else.

"Mom, it's about my daughter."

"Is anything wrong with the child? Or Your sweet girlfriend is tired already and want you to take care of her." Mrs Allyson said, exasperated.

"Of course not mom. Toun is not that kind of person. She is very good and she had been wonderful with our daughter."

"And why do I feel there is a but?"

"Because there is a but." Nathaniel answered quietly. He looked at his mother to look at her reaction but it was expressionless. He have no choice but to finish what he started. "Mommy, it's getting hard for Toun to cope with her studies and the baby. She is about to enter bar school and she needs to concentrate with her studies. I don't want her to fail."