Chapter Forty Four

Its been two days now since Nathaniel and his family came to Nigeria. He and his family move to a suite not far from the estate where Toun and her family lived.

".....and here we are." Toun finished telling her story to Nathaniel and their daughter.

Nathaniel covered his face with his palm. Toun story is mixed with good news and sad news.

The good news is that he have a son and that son is her elder son Hope.

The bad news is she have a heart cancer and she is in the critical stage.

Now he know why she looks so lean, fragile and pale. She can't even walk properly or talk for so long. She is depending strongly on medication.

"Mom." Anna said with a broken voice, tears gathering their eyes.

"You don't have to cry sweetheart. You will be fine." Toun console her daughter.

"How?" She asked.

She gave a sad smile. "I don't know how but it will be fine."

"Won't you have a surgery, any kind of medication that can help. I can take you you to my friends that are doctors they could help." Nathaniel said holding back his anger.

Why does it have to happen to her? She had been through a lot. She endure all those years as an hostage, get married unwillingly. And she is suffering from cancer of the heart. Why does it have to be her?

She take his hands in her hand and he look at her hand sadly.

"I have done three chemotherapy and several radiation therapy but it didn't help much. I have accept my fate."

"But why? Why does it have to be you?" He asked.

She understand his pain. Japheth had feel the same way. She took both their hands.

"Let's not waste our time asking questions that can't be answered. Let's make use of the time we have left for something better." She said to them.

****

Anna just finished making a call with Andre. She was about to check on her grand mother when she heard a knock on the door.

She stood up and went to the door.

" Hi. "She said grinning at Nancy and Hope.

" Hi aunt Anna. " Nancy said and she embrace her tightly. She had reluctantly went back home the day before. They sat and talk for a long time. She promised to bring Hope along when she is coming. And here they are, both of them.

Anna laughed." I'm gonna stop breathing. "

"Sorry." She said and she pull away quickly.

Anna laughed and she said hi to Hope. She asked them to come in and they did. They both sat down in the large and beautifully decorated room.

Nancy begin to chat about her brothers and about the party she is going to during the weekend with her friends.

"That's great but make sure you are careful." Anna advised. She nods in understanding. "Is that yours?" She asked turning to Hope. He seem a little taken about that she was talking to him.

"Yes." He replied.

"He take it along because he have a practice when we leave here." Nancy added.

Anna nodded. "It's a good guitar. Nancy told me you play."

"Yes. Since i was ten." He answered now getting interested and glad they were involving him in the conversation.