Jughead

Xreader

It was a few days after you talked to Jughead in Pop’s and things had been going pretty well

It was a few days after you talked to Jughead in Pop’s and things had been going pretty well. You often found yourself hanging out with Jughead during lunch in the library. He would show you his progress of his novel to which you would become amazed at his writing skills. He would also ask you about your family and how you were doing. You were always truthful with one another, you were open about your feelings and he shared his own troubles. Your friendship was blossoming before your very eyes. It was the accidental brush of fingers and the lingering looks that pulled you to him further. From what you could tell, it wasn’t one sided either. Just the fact he still wanted you around whenever he could was a good sign; but then your anxiety would get the better of you. Why would he, a smart and good-looking Sophomore, want to date you, a mediocre Freshman? That answer seemed to be lost in the deepest corners of your mind, because now things were bad again.

“I can’t have you being distracted by boys like Betty. Focus on your studies, join at least 3 clubs for your transcript, and go off to a good college. Any less than that would be a disappointment, now wouldn’t it?” Your mother’s voice echoed in your head from this morning. You were walking next to Betty, who had heard it all, at school. Flashes of this morning danced before your eyes; Mother yelling then you agreeing, Betty protesting, Mother screaming, then you and Betty crying. Your mother had said some things to say the least, and going to school right after that horror show wasn’t the best idea. You could still feel the stinging in your eyes and your sniffly nose fought against you when you and Betty told Veronica that “we’re fine.”

It didn’t help that you got a few texts from Jughead in the morning asking if you wanted to hangout at Pop’s after school. When you made it to 3rd Period, your Writing Class, you were already exhausted and wanted to be anywhere but there. You sat down in a random seat and started to pull out the notes from Friday when you saw a familiar figure out of the corner of your eye. “Y/N,” he started, “are you okay?” You turned in your seat to face him and saw that his blue eyes were full of worry. “Yeah, I’m good why?” You obviously were lying, and you knew Jughead noticed by the way his eyebrows furrowed. “You didn’t reply to my texts this morning,” he said, his voice hushed to not arouse suspicion. Luckily you were saved from having to talk to him any longer because the bell rang and your teacher started class. During the whole period, you could feel Jughead’s eyes on you. If it was under different circumstances, you might’ve enjoyed the attention, but right now all you wanted to do was escape. So when the bell rang you darted out of the classroom and walked as quickly as you could to the next class.

During lunch, you sat with Betty and her friends rather than Jughead. You just didn’t want to face him after that. The lunch period was rather uneventful; Archie seemed to be quiet and wouldn’t look at Betty, so it was Kevin and Veronica that carried the conversation. You were about to chime in when your phone buzzed against your leg. You pulled it out and saw it was a text notification from Jughead.

Jughead ;} : I won’t be able to be there for you if you don’t talk to me.

Jughead ;} : Whenever you want to see me, just text me, okay?

You didn’t have the chance to reply because the lunch bell rang. You and your sister barely made it through the rest of the day without breaking down. Veronica, being one of the greatest friends ever, noticed this and confronted the both of you after school.

“If you don’t want to tell me what’s wrong, that’s fine, but I’m taking you two out to Pops to hang out whether you like it or not.” Betty tried to protest but Veronica silenced her with a raised finger, “Aunt Ronnie is not letting anyone mope.” She drove you both to the diner, in an uncomfortable silence. When you all arrived, each one of you ordered a milkshake and found a secluded booth.

“So, what’s up?” Veronica asked as if nothing was wrong. Betty was about to answer with a cliche answer but you beat her to it. “Our mom hasn’t been the kindest woman to us lately.” You looked at Betty who merely nodded in agreement. “Is there anything I can do to help?” Veronica asked, her voice laced with concern. You shrugged and Betty didn’t say a word. “Well, you two can sleep over at my place whenever you need to, okay?” She asked, reaching her hands across the table to hold on of yours and one of Betty’s. “Thank you, Veronica.” Betty said, her blue eyes happy and clear for the first time that day. You nodded in agreement and then Veronica changed the subject to Archie. She and Betty talked it out and you found yourself looking out the window of the diner.

It was a nice day outside, unlike the last time you were here. The rain pattering against the window and enjoying Jughead’s company. Jughead; you felt a pit in your stomach at the thought of him. You had left him out of the loop, lied to him. You found your phone and was about to text him when you saw the notification.

Jughead ;} : Second booth nearest to the bathroom, if you want to sit.

You smiled softly at your phone. “Hey Betty I got to go to the bathroom.” Betty nodded and scooted out of the booth so you could get out. You walked past the main door and the little divider and saw him sitting there. He looked up and the corner of his mouth twitched upwards a little. You walked over and sat down next to him, your shoulders brushing his.

“I’m sorry about before.” You said and Jughead nodded. “I understand if you don’t what to see me Y/N, I’m not the friendliest of person but at least tell me.”

“Oh, that’s not why I,” you let out a quiet laugh, “I had a really bad morning and I didn’t well, I didn’t talk to anyone at school.”

“What happened?” He asked, and you were caught off guard by the kindness in his eyes. You proceeded to tell him what happen between you, your sister, and your mother in the morning. He listened to every word and it seemed he got closer each time you spoke. “Is there-” He started, but he stopped himself. He turned his eyes to the table, hand curled in fists on the stand. You rested your hand on his forearm, causing him to look back at you. “It’s okay, Jug. I’m going to be okay.” You didn’t know what it was exactly; the fact that his handle was suddenly holding yours or if it was the way he was looking at you, but you believed what you had said. As long as Jughead was around, you felt that you would be just fine. Suddenly, Jughead was closer, his eyes darting from your eyes to your lips.

“Can I?” He whispered and you felt a hot blush rise to your cheeks. Despite that, you found the bravery to answer him. “Y-yes.”

His lips were soft when they met yours. You fumbled a bit at first, this being your first kiss. Jughead didn’t seem to care, he only kissed you back harder. His hand cupped your neck and your hands found his jaw. He pulled away slowly, only to rest his forehead against yours. You were both catching your breaths, staring into each other’s eyes. You let out a winded laugh and so did he. “I’ll be better than okay.” You whispered and Jughead leaned in again, giving you a slower, sweeter kiss than before. Your hands pulled gently on his sweater, trying to bring him closer. If it wasn’t the pesky need to breath, you would probably never stop kissing him. You sensed Jughead felt the same way, judging how he brushed his nose against yours. It suddenly felt hot in the diner, and you were brought back to reality. You looked over and saw that Betty and Veronica were still talking, but you didn’t what to risk taking too long.

“I should go back, so they don’t suspect anything.” You whispered, but Jughead only kissed you in response. It was a quick peck, but it still left you wanting more. “Okay,” he whispered back, “text me if anything gets to be too much, yeah?” You gave him a soft smile and nodded. You reached your hand up, letting your fingertips brushing against his cheek. He closed his eyes at the touch, as if he was waiting for this moment for months. “I will.” You murmured as you slid out of the booth. You walked back to your sister and your friend, sitting down next to Veronica this time. “What did you do, fall in?” Veronica joked, and Betty laughed. A grin crept onto your features and you looked up and saw Jughead leaving the diner. He gave you a look, that no one else saw, and left. “Yeah,” you said with a smile, “I fell in.”