Jughead

It started as a joke, something you would've never done unless it was in some hypothetical universe where you just weren't you. Where you weren't ugly or fat, instead where you were skinny and beautiful. There were unspoken rules that cheerleaders had to be the best of the best; beyond pretty and gorgeous. The whole idea of joining seemed impossible, but with Veronica and Betty breathing down your neck, it was hard to say 'no'. So you didn't, instead you just avoided the two girls all day. Somehow you managed this feat and made it through the day without joining the cheerleading squad. Granted, the tryouts weren't until tomorrow so you would have yet another day of avoiding your friends.

When school ended, you went straight home and didn't dare move from your room in the fear your friends would see you out and about. With boredom nipping at your heels, you found yourself thinking about your looks, then criticizing your figure in the mirror. Too big there, too jiggly here, you started to judge every limb and appendage. At first, you didn't even notice the tears in your eyes, until one started to roll down your cheek. You quickly wiped it anyway, marking down another thing you hated about yourself: too sensitive. You weren't as strong or as stunning as the celebrities on the internet and the TV screens, no, you were just below average you. Before anymore poisonous thoughts could enter your brain, you heard your phone go off. You walked over to your desk where it was and saw that it was your neighbor, Jughead Jones. You felt a sense of relief that it wasn't Veronica or Betty.

Jughead : Hey can I come over? I don't understand this geometry homework.

You : Sure, but I don't know how much help I'll be.

Jughead : Okay, be there in two.

You turned towards your window and saw Jughead leaving his room in the house across from yours. His family had lived in the house across from yours as long as you could remember. You had been friends since the first grade, when the Jones' family moved in. You walked back over to the mirror and an horrid idea struck you. From this angle, Jughead could've had the perfect view to see you standing in front of the mirror, to see how upset you were. A pit grew in your stomach as you heard your front door open a shut, followed by the sound of Jughead running up your stairs.

You turned as your friend opened the door, barely making eye contact. You noticed his hands were empty and your heart fell. "Where's your Geometry book?" You asked hopefully, trying to pretend that there was a chance he didn't see you judging yourself in the mirror. You glanced up from his hands and saw his steady gaze. "Do you really think about my Geometry homework?" You swallowed at his words and your shoulders sagged. "There are these things," he started, walking over to your window, "called curtains, that if you want to judge yourself in private you can just..." He reached up and gently pulled on one of your curtains, blocking the view of his bedroom window. "I wasn't, I was just," you stumbled over your words.

"I overheard the new girl trying to convince to join the Riverdale Vixens," he said, faking school spirit by waving his hands with minimal effort. "I assume, you and your mirror were having a conversation about it." You knew that there was no fooling Jughead, he could read you like a book. No lie could cover your bad self image and he wouldn't buy it anyway. "I'm not pretty enough," you whispered, feeling tears in the corners of your eyes. Jughead took a step towards you, leaning down to look into your face, "Say again?" You almost started to sob, "Jug, please don't," but your friend wasn't having it. He placed his hands on your shoulders, slowly turning you to look into the mirror. "Now," he murmured in your ear, "say it again." You stared at your reflection, studying the features that you so hated. You were about to say it, but with Jughead looking at you with those eyes, you just couldn't. You felt his hands travel from your shoulders, down your arms, and to your waist where they wrapped around your middle. You back rested against his chest and he rested his chin on top of your head. "You are so beautiful Y/N. Nothing can worth changing yourself for." You turned in his arms to face him now and felt your cheeks grow hot at the closeness, "Jug..." He was just staring at you now, mesmerized by every detail.

"You're so lovely, don't let the world make you think you're not," his hand was on the side of your face, with his fingers in your hair. He was so utterly taken by your grace, he had been since grade school. It was killing him that you didn't see yourself as he did and he was desperate to make you see it; but now wasn't the time. He backed away a little, pulling his hand away from your face, "You should try out, you'll blow them away Y/N." You snapped out of your puppy-love induced daze and nodded. "T-thank you, Jug. I will." He gave you a bright smile that met his green eyes. He opened his mouth once more, most likely to mention your shared moment, but he phone started to ring. He picked it out of his pocket and scowled at the screen. "I gotta go," he said, walking towards the door, "but I'll see you at the game, and you'll be in a snazzy uniform." You let out a laugh as he walked out of the room. When he was gone, you let out a sigh With a renewed sense of confidence, you texted Veronica and Betty.

You : I'll be seeing you both at tryouts tomorrow, yes?
Veronica : Hell yes!
Betty : This is going to be so fun.

You paced around near the bleachers, pulling your jacket more securely around your shoulders and chest. Jughead had texted you a few hours before the game saying that he'd be near the right side of the bleachers. You stopped your pacing and looked out at the field, wondering if you needed to move. You almost screamed when someone put their hand on your shoulder. "Am I that scary?"

You turned and smiled at Jughead, who wore a playful expression. "How'd tryouts go, you never told me?" He asked with raised eyebrows. You bit your bottom lip, giving him a sly smile. "Did you not-" you cut him off by pulling the sides of your over sized jacket away from your body. He smiled when he saw the cheerleading uniform, "See what did I tell ya!"

You blushed but before you could say anything you heard a whistle go off. "I believe that's your que, River Vixen." You gave him another smile and was about to walked away when you spun around. You faced Jughead, planting a hand on his face, pulling him in. Your lips met softly, but as soon as he put a hand to your waist, the kiss became frenzied. You pulled away breathless but smiling widely, "I'll see you after the game, Jughead." You murmured and Jughead just nodded dumbly. "See you later, beautiful." He said and your felt a blush rise to your cheeks. You walked away then, leaving a smile on Jughead's face.