Chapter 14

My grips on the metal rail tighten. Standing at here the Boston's Harborwalk, the sea seems endless. I lost in its rhythmic percussion. Holding onto the rails, knuckles turning pale, wind whipping loosens hair, eyes unwavering on the calm sea, my thought drift back to Georgetown. Images of how happy my family was, played in my vision like a slide show. All those smiles, laughter, love, and tears. I miss how my family was before everything fell apart. Everything was ruined, because of that one thing. One thing I wish I could stop from happening. One thing that keeps shattering me, again and again. Gathering all the strength in myself, I ignore that dark incident and look at both of my sides.

On my right, a petite girl, wearing yellow and black tights, jogs slowly ignoring the world. She looked so determined. Then, I looked to my left side. A married couple, with the man pushing a baby stroller, walk arm in arm. The woman said something, that makes her man roll his eyes. A small smile on my lips. Straightening straps of my handbag, I step back away from the rails.

We will never be alone on this earth. Nobody can. But for sure we will be lonely.

At a slow pace I walked, eyes leisurely wander around. An old man with sticks walking slowly; Group of teenagers laughing out loudly; a Young couple sitting holding each other's hands tightly; Another couple where the boy laughs while his lady friend glares; And some kids pushing each other playfully in front of the ice cream van.

I reached the train station. Swiping the member card, I enter the waiting area but didn't wait as the train to the south end is already here. Without pushing anyone, I get into the train and found a spot to seat. The train, as usual, is crowded. Same faces with the same expressions. Some with headphones on, some with books, a lot with handphones. Technology killed everything. Literally everything.

The train reaches my stop in time. Without hurrying, I get myself out of the train and walk calmly towards the bistro. Sparing a smile and cash at the girl on the counter, I step out of the bistro with my Caramel hot chocolate. And here comes the strangers. Busy street with hundreds of strangers, walk past me. A bright smile on my face. I love it here. Like I said before, nobody knows me and I know nobody. This been my routine every Friday. Instead of driving, I choose walking. I enjoy it. Tightening my brown summer coat, I wave through the sea of people.

After a, not that so, long walking I reached my residence area. As usual, some kids from my neighborhood joyfully play at the kid's park. I wave my hands to them and they wave back. Throwing a flying kiss to them, in time I reached my street.

Again, as usual, Mrs.Lucia, an old lady who lives in my street smiles at me from the window. She will know I will be here at this time. "Looking beautiful my girl."

"You too Mrs.Lucia.."

Circle of life. Everyone needs someone. But here I am, defying that I need someone to hold on to; to fall in love with; to have a family with.

I'm DEFYING THE CIRCLE OF HUMAN LIFE.

Fidgeting the key from my bag, I almost reach my home when I saw a figure sitting on my doorsteps. My steps come to a standstill when the pair of brown eyes find mine.

This is not usual. My Fridays never end with a man waiting for me at my doorsteps.

No. These heartbeats are not usual.

"Isabella.."

"Parker.."