Chapter 5: Power Evaluation

AIRA

The following day...

"Aira."

I heard a soft whisper in my ear, jolting me awake. My eyes shot open, and I quickly scanned the room, my heart pounding with apprehension, as I believed there might be an unexpected visitor.

"Are you awake?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the voice once more, tinged with a hint of fear, because this time it was unmistakably clear and seemed to murmur directly into my ear. I couldn't fathom how this was happening. Gathering my courage, I got out of bed and approached the door, swinging it open. To my astonishment, it was Josh who greeted me.

"Josh, what are you doing here?"

"I was trying to wake you up," he explained.

"You were whispering directly into my ear? How did you do that?" I inquired, a mixture of disbelief and relief washing over me.

"It's a technique, communicating through the air. I'm glad it worked," he replied, a warm smile gracing his face. I let out a sigh of relief, finally comprehending how it was possible.

"You scared me!"

"That wasn't my intention. Now, go get ready; we're leaving."

"Where are we going?"

"To the battleground; that's where your grandparents are now."

Napangiti ako nang marinig ko ang sinabi ni Josh. Nagpaalam na siya at kaagad naman akong naligo. Nagbihis na rin ako at tinali ang mahaba kong buhok. Lumabas ako ng kwarto at nagtungo sa sala. Nasalubong ko naman si Lee.

"Here, take this," he handed me an elixir candy.

"W-what should I do with this?"

"Stare at it for amusement."

I raised an eyebrow, genuinely trying to understand his instructions. I watched as he took his coat off the hook and slipped it on.

"Can I eat this?" I asked, holding up the elixir candy.

"It's up to you if you want to," he replied.

"Are you sure? Does it have any side effects on me?"

"Yeah, you'll feel energized."

"I mean, bad side effects. We still don't know about my powers, and if I eat this, something bad might happen to me."

"You're a wernal, aren't you?"

"How can you be so sure?"

"You ask too many questions." With that, he turned and abruptly left the house.

What just happened? Why did he suddenly become so curt? I stared at the elixir candy in my hand and decided to eat it. I didn't notice any unusual effects on my body, so perhaps it didn't work for me.

"Let's go," Josh said, pulling me out of the house. The surroundings were peaceful, with children playing in the distance and adults going about their business. Snow was falling gently, but the sun's warmth could still be felt. Lee stood nearby, whistling and gazing up at the sky.

"What's he doing?" I asked Josh.

"Calling his pet."

"What kind of pet?"