Chapter 6: Enigmatic Bracelet

JOSH

I observed Lee closely; it seemed like he had been lost in deep thoughts for quite some time. I contemplated approaching him, but I hesitated, thinking he might be exhausted from our training. I could hear him sigh once more.

Lee and I shared a long history. We had faced each other numerous times in school competitions. Initially, we regarded each other as rivals. It's amusing to think about how competitive we were during evaluations. Lee was a fierce competitor, and I never saw him give up on anything.

Last year, I secretly hoped I wouldn't have to face Lee in the finals, but fate had its own plans, and we ended up as opponents once again. Back then, I didn't want to compete against him because we had become friends.

The level of dedication Lee and I put into that match was extraordinary. We trained relentlessly, and I knew his strengths just as well as he knew mine. The competition was far from easy for both of us. Neither of us was willing to back down, and, surprisingly, our scores ended in a tie, making us both winners.

"What can you say about Aira's powers?" I asked him, but he didn't turn to look at me.

"No problem at all, it's fine by me. She might be the first person I've seen with such abilities," he replied.

"What about you? Is there something bothering you? You've been silent for an hour," I said as I sat down beside him.

"Nothing, really. I'm just thinking about the war that happened decades ago. It's just something I can't get out of my mind."

"Don't dwell on it; it's in the past," I said seriously, looking at him.

"What if there's another war in the future?" His question left me momentarily speechless because, truthfully, the possibility of another war wasn't impossible, and it was something I desperately wished to avoid.

"You shouldn't be thinking about such things. What's important is to focus on the present. Besides, the locket has been missing for a long time; the dergons won't find it."

"Just saying."

I left our room, giving him some space to think. In the living room, I encountered Aira. She was scanning every nook and cranny, as if searching for something.

"What are you looking for?" I inquired as I approached her.

"Do you have a charger? Can I borrow it?" I was taken aback to see her with an electronic device. I promptly took it from her and crushed it underfoot.

"Josh! Why did you destroy my cellphone?!" she shouted. I gave her a stern look.

"That is forbidden here in Wonderland. You cannot bring any devices here. You're endangering the lives of wernals."

"How so?"

"No ordinary person should be able to discover this place, do you understand? Because if that happens, it would cause chaos in the human world," I said firmly.

"But I use that to call my mom."

"I'm sorry, but it was necessary for me to destroy it. Now you know." She gazed at the shattered cellphone on the ground.

"This is unbelievable," she grumbled and then left.

I suddenly felt a pang of guilt. I should have just taken it from her and hidden it. Why did I act so hastily?

***

AIRA

It's now afternoon, and Lee and I are presently seated in the bleachers at the battleground. Kinwento ko sa kaniya ang nangyari kanina, pero parehas lang sila ng sinabi ni Josh. Wala naman na akong nagawa kasi sira na ang phone ko.