A Bit Of History

PIPER

When I wake up, I notice that everyone else is still asleep in their bunks except for Leo, who is up and getting dressed while Az, Flora, Fauna, and Eris wait patienly by the door. He kisses the top of my head in good morning before leaving, so I decide to check out the cellar with all of the scrolls and books.

I lift the empty cot 9 up and open the trap door to the cellar. I grab a flash light and test it to make sure that it's working. I point it at the downward spiralling staircase and I descend, every torch that I pass lights itself, showing that I don't need the flashlight after all.

I reach the last of the stone stair case and every torch in the room bursts to life with flickering lights of the colors of dawn and dusk.

I saunter over to the book shelf made of woven vines and Alpine twigs and branches. On the four shelves there are scrolls, books, and letters that are practically orange with age. I close my eyes and breathe in deeply through my nose, inhaling the musty smell of pages with forgetton stories written down. One ancient book in particular seems to stand out to me, the animal skin binding seems to give off a sort of glow. A sort of magnetic connection seems to draw me towards it, and a wave of strange enery washes over me and my hand reaches out and grabs the book, almost as if I wasn't the one who told my arm to do it.

I sit down at a small table on a three legged stool, and look at the title in Greek, which my demigod eyes easily translate.

Κάντεκράτησητου παιδιούτηςομορφιάς

Book of the Child of Beauty

I open the old animal skin binding with extreme care, and turn to the first page. It's all in the most ancient dialect of Greek, but I understand it perfectly.

To whomever this may concern, this book is a documentation of my life. My name is Calidora. This is my story.

The mothers of my childhood playmates shun me and shelter their children and husbands from me because I can do what they cannot. I have powers of my mother, I can manipulate the minds of the people around me, and all of the men stumble head over heels when I am around them, the beauty of my body and face is great like my mother, Ahprodite's. Only one man is my friend. Abrax. He can summon fire at will like his father before him, and the people of the town fear and respect his ability to heal any wound with his golden hands of flames. Today the son of Zeus, Barak, descended the mountain, and greeted me with the highest of respect and well being. He and Abrax get along wonderfully, except when discussing me. I cannot be responsible for the break up of another friendship. I plan to retreat to the mountain of the gods, where my mother resides with all of her siblings and cousins. I hear father coming home. This is where I must leave. The fire from my lamp is dying.

Calidora

Calidora I know means gift of beauty. I turn the page and nearly pee myself. On the paper is a perfectly intricate drawing of a woman who looks exactly like me with a more Greecian face, and on the right there is a perfect drawing a slightly more Greek looking Leo, and on the left there is Jason with slightly curlier hair and a slightly more defined nose and a sharper jaw line. All of us are in tradtional Patrcian dress. Under each of us there are names written in the ancient Greek dialect: Barak, Calidora, Abrax

I run my finger over the names and turn the page to keep reading.

There are more and more words of Calidora's diary, but before I can read any more of her impecable handwriting, the words float off of the page and form shapes and objects, which then fill themselves with color. I watch as I'm transported back in time to a different place, a different era, to ancient Greece.