Chapter 29

Shadows POV

I woke up to a VERY annoying beeping noise. I groaned and fluttered open my eyes. "Will someone turn that annoying beeping off?!" I asked. All eyes shot up to me and I was tackled into a hug by Loki. "Shadow, my love, your alright!" I chuckled. "Well, duh. What happened anyway?" Loki stroked my hair. "You were kidnapped by a scientist who wanted your DNA. You've been unconscious for a few hours." I nodded my head but suddenly thought of something. "What happened to the scientist?"

"Flairess kicked his ass, that's what." My head snapped to the voice and I grinned. "Tasha!" She smiled and gave me a gentle hug. "Hey Shads." I let go and looked at Loki, who had tear streaks down his face. "Loki, hun, what's wrong?" He looked up at me.

"I should've been there for you. You got hurt because I was not there." I shook my head and cupped his face in my hands. "It was not your fault. You had no idea what was going to happen. Flairess saved me and that's that. End of problem. No ones fault but the scientist." He nodded and kissed me. I kissed back, our mouths moving in synch until I heard someone clear their throat, and I pulled away blushing. I smiled sheepishly and looked around the room thoroughly for the first time, and noticed Flairess wasn't there.

"Where's Flair?" There was an uncomfortable silence and I knew something bad had happened. "Where is she?" I asked, my voice pitchy and sore. Loki looked at me with pity in his eyes. "Well, um... you see..."

"She's gone." I turned to see a very disheveled Tony in the doorway. "What do you mean she's gone?" I asked. He shrugged and I winced, from my pain and the pain I saw in his eyes. "I don't know. She was blaming herself for your condition and she just teleported out of here. We don't know where she is."

My breath caught in my throat. She left me? My own sister left me, for something she couldn't control? I cried into my hands and Loki rubbed my back in a failed attempt to sooth me. Oh Flairess, why did you leave, why can't you just come back? I continued to cry into my hands, then Loki's chest until I fell into a troubled sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flairess POV

I sat in my new apartment, full of my old things, well what I could get from my old apartment anyway and admired it. I did a good job decorating and my apartment wasn't to shabby. It was a one bed, one bath kind of apartment but the kitchen and living room made up for it. Shadow would love it. Shadow...

My heart ached at leaving her and the others but I had to. To protect them.

You didn't have to. A voice argued in my head.

Yes I did! I argued back.

They're super heroes! They can take care of themselves.

I sighed. Maybe, but I don't want to risk it.

Whatever you say... and then the voice disappeared.

Great, now I'm talking to myself. I got up and walked into the bathroom. I peeled off my suit (yes I was still wearing it) and hopped into the shower. The hot water relaxed my muscles and I sighed, content that one thing was good. It was a quick shower, and I got out and put on some short orange soffee shorts and a cream tank top. I fell onto my bed, exhausted. I took one last glance out the window, seeing the Eiffel Tower, and a single tear fell down my cheek.

I'm sorry for leaving you all.
And then I fell asleep.