The Passing Angel

A passing Angel

PART 1

She woke to the ringing of her alarm clock, but as per usual she hit the snooze button.. "just 5 more minutes she whispered". When she heard her  neighbors dog barking, she sprung up and like a flash of lightning she bolted into the bathroom, as it was a rather special occasion it was the opening for enrollment at UJ and she wanted to to put in her application for her studies. Yusrah was a rather organized and simple young women.  She always offered her help to the elderly and was very gentle with those of physical disabilities. She preferred to stick to routine, simple at heart, loved spending time with her family and was passionate about art. She would spend her days helping in the house hold chores, took a sincere interest in preparing scrumptious dishes as she loved her food aswell. In her spare time she adored taking random pictures with her camera which her parents bought her as a muharram gift, she painted pictures of scenery and drew lots of abstract art. Once a week she made it a point in visiting the old age home and the orpahnage. She took almost all of her Saturday mornings to spend at the old age home and orphanage, she would wake up extra early and prepare delicious treats for her special friends, they always loved having her come over and she would chat with them about nonsensical things, they would chuckle and giggle and enjoy a cup of tea with the goodies she brought, the elderly loved her dearly. At the orphanage she would play games with the kids be it hide and seek, or monkey in the middle, she always had a tons of fun, especially seeing the smile on the kids faces it brought her so much joy. Yusrah was a very confined, compassionate soul, modest and soft at heart. She finished her matric last year in 2016 and was now turning 18,she so much wanted to go out and study something in art, more so interior design. She loved selecting pieces of furniture and matching it with appropriate accessories, she had an eye for design and all who knew her was adamant she would prosper in this field. Although her father was not too fond or keen in allowing her to study and go to university, he was honestly very reluctant in agreeing but with Yusrahs determination, persuasion and persistently convincing him of the advantages she will one day have in furthering herself in studies. Eventually with alot of consideration, her dad finally agreed. Keeping in mind that she slyly slipped her application in without her father's permission, she was always strong willed and very seldomly backed down, she stood strong in her beliefs and always strived to become an achiever. When her father gave the answer, Yusrah was overyjoyed and extatic she immediately called Ayesha her best friend to tell her of the good news. She begun almost immediately with all the preparations involved in getting ready for her big day, her father gave her one circumstance, that the university be close to home so he could have a watchful eye on her, with that they both found common ground and settled on it.

The day came for her new venture and she awoke before her alarm clock rang, with a blissful heart and smiling gleefully at the crack of dawn, she sat on her mussallah at fajr time and made a special dua. "oh Allah bless me on my journey, safeguard me from wrong doers and guide me to a successful bright future".  She then scurried into the kitchen and prepared her lunch box for the day, her mum offered to do it for her as she was still the baby of the house but ultimately she felt as though she was now entering the real world and wanted to become more independent. Yusrah was beautiful inside and out, she had an outstanding character which was always admired by the elderly and those her age were instantly attracted to her. She was thin, tall, she had black long hair with a slight tint of brown and it was absolutely pin straight and had an amazing shine to it, she had a soft subtle skin tone, with rosey cheeks and eyes that sparkled when she smiled.

She had many proposals for marriage but she turned them all down as she had a greater vision in bettering herself before she became a wife and mother.

She wore a soft white palaso pants with a long light peach chiffon top which complented her skin, she draped a long floral dupata to match her outfit and wore a strappy bronze sandal to finish the touch. Her father dropped her off at the bus stop, he opted to take her to and from university everyday but she felt that it would be to taxing on him as he was now retired from being a manager at a leading firm for more than 30 years and she didn't want to impose on him in any way possible. Her father, Abdul always wondered how did he manage to get such an almost perfect daughter as he was very mischievous in his youth and turned to alot of bad things in society, but in his late 20's when he met Zohra his beautiful wife he eventually changed his bad habits and adopted a better, less sinful lifestyle. People would always look down upon him in his younger days and judge him for the choices he made, they would often pass remarks and he would turn a deaf ear. Once he got married his life changed. Yes, there was the endless financial struggle which they faced moving from one place to the next trying to make ends meet, Abdul worked hard to provide for his family and Zohra would make things from home to help earn an income. One day Abdul got an offer for a very promising job and that's when financially they became more settled. It was after 10 years they had Yusrah, she was the "laat lametjie" as they say. Her siblings were much older than her and that's why her father always made a big fuss over her.