The Looter and The Blind Snake

Weekend Story

There was once a notorious robber among the Kurds (the name of a tribe in the middle East), he narrates his own story: once I was going with my gang of robbers with the intention of a dacoity. We stopped to take a rest at a place where we saw three date palms, of which two were laden with fruits but the third one was all dry and barren..  Now and then a sparrow came to one of the green trees took some fresh dates in its beak and flew across to the dry palm tree. We were greatly surprised, after I counted ten trips of this bird it occurred to me that I should climb the tree and see what it was doing with those dates..

I climped up to the top of the palm tree and saw a blind snake there with its mouth wide open the sparrow had been putting fresh dates into the mouth of this blind snake!! The sight (of a sparrow feeding a blind snake) awakened my conscience and I was moved to tears. I cried h to Allah, Oh Allah, when this snake which Your Rasul صلى الله عليه وسلم has commanded us to kill, became blind, You appointed a sparrow to provide Sustenance for it. And I who am Your slave and believer in "Tauheed" have been destined to loot people..  At this, I heard a voice speaking to me, from withing my heart, thus: the door towards repentance is open to everybody at all times

Instantly I broke the sword with which I used to rob the people and (in the frenzy of remorse)  began to throw dust on my head. I wept and cried to Allah Forgive Me Oh Lord..  A voice from the unseen whispered in my heart, "We have forgiven you, We have forgiven you,"

After a short while, I rejoined my companions. They wanted to know what had happened to me, I said - I was led astray and was estranged from My Lord, now i have  made peace with Him. And I told them the whole story..  They said, we will also make peace with our Lord, and they broke their swords too.. 

We abandoned all our looted property there, put on Ihraam and set out to Makkah for Pilgrimage..   After travelling for three days, we reached a village where we came across a blind old day, she asked, Is there any Kurd amongst you so and so by name?  (On this she named me) On being told  that there was, she took out some garments and said, My son died three days ago and these clothes were his property. Ever since he died, I dream every night that I see Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم commanding me to give these garments to such and such a Kurd! I took the garments from her and we all put them on.. 

🔹In this story there is a deep moral, the providential arrangement for providing sustenance to the blind snake and secondly, the gift of garments granted by Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم to the Kurd.  When Allah wants to favour someone it is quite easy for Him to create means to that end, as it is He alone who creates all means, both prosperity and adversity, and it was by the virtue of their sincere repentance that these Kurds were granted the gift of garments from Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم which is in itself a great Honour and worthy privilege..

📖 Fazaile Sadaqaat..

Pearls Of Wisdom💎