The Scorpion

Weekend Story
Dhūnnūn Misrī رحمه الله was once walking on the bank of a river, when he saw a scorpion moving hastily towards the water. He knew that a scorpion could not swim and decided to watch what will happen. Meanwhile, a tortoise emerged from the water and came close to the bank. The scorpion jumped onto the back of the tortoise, which began to swim. Very surprised, he decided to follow the tortoise and scorpion. Finally, the tortoise reached the other end of the river and the scorpion jumped onto the bank.

The scorpion then continued. The saint continued to follow the scorpion. After a while, he saw a young man sleeping beneath a tree and realised that the scorpion was moving towards him. Thinking that the scorpion would sting the sleeping man, he prepared himself to kill it. As he advanced, he saw a snake quickly moving towards the man. He was surprised than ever. When the snake was close to the man, the scorpion hastened towards it and bit it. The snake began to toss and turn and died on the spot. The scorpion then returned from the direction it had come.

When Dhūnnūn Misrī رحمه الله saw this, he was quite moved and uttered the following couplet:

“O sleeping man, you sleep while Allāh is protecting you from every evil that may arise from the darkness. How can sleep make the eyes oblivious of that King whose bounties come to you in abundance.”

The saint explained, “I was amazed at this spectacle of faith and began to think, O Allāh, your servant was sleeping here. A snake was about to bite him and You sent a scorpion from such a distance to save him.”

I went close to the man and awakened him, only to find the stench of liquor emanating from his mouth. I said to him, “O man, you were asleep but your Sustainer was protecting you all along.”

When he arose and heard my story, he began to cry, "O Allāh, I was astray and did not fear You, O Helper of the helpless! O Listener to those who call out for help! O Remover of calamities! You are that being Who is 70 times more loving than a mother! I had broken Your commands but you did not turn away from me. You showered me with so many bounties to protect me."

The young man sincerely repented and changed his life.

📚Pearls from the Path, Volume 1
Pearls Of Knowledge 📚