Chapter 2 - My Home

When I heard Eddie call my name again for dinner I took a deep breath before heading downstairs to the kitchen. He set up the table for me, a pizza cut up in slices and an empty glass beside it. "What drink would you like? Coke?"he asked, heading to the fridge. I gave a tiny nod,"Sure." I got a strange feeling when I answered him, like I'd done this already a million times before. I shivered. As he poured the coke into my cup I fidgeted, trying to get my words out. Should I say it? I felt a bit bad for him, for just running away earlier. I wanted to apologise or at least make him feel better, but I couldn't find it in me. "I'm going to eat in my room,"I blurted out. Eddie's eyes flickered towards mine as he put the lid back on the coke bottle, he raised an eyebrow slightly. "Are you allowed to eat in your room?"he asked.
"Oh yes,"I lied quickly, snatching up the plate. He smiled then handed me my drink. "Okay, do you need any help with homework after you eat?"Eddie asked. I turned to leave the room and lied again,"No thanks, I have no homework tonight."

I rushed back upstairs before we could talk further. I know I shouldn't feel shy around Eddie, he's my friend, he's everyone's friend. But, I didn't want to eat in awkward silence downstairs. I rubbed my forehead a little, feeling frustrated with myself, I'm so socially awkward. I'm not so bad with talking to Breah, but even so, there's sometimes a long pause of nothing. I sighed sadly.

I watched some more YouTube videos while eating my pizza, I felt myself cheer up as I laughed every now and then. Breah would always show me these 'try not to laugh' videos, I never found them quite funny but this one was. I drank all my coke and managed to eat all the pizza slices after thirty to forty minutes. Yes, I was a pretty slow eater, and I was beyond stuffed now. I didn't take my plate and cup downstairs to wash up yet, I decided to do it later when my parents were back to avoid conversation with Eddie. I continued to watch random things on my computer for another hour, I didn't even realise it got dark in my room until I heard the front door open.

I hopped out of bed and switched on my bedroom light before pressing my ear up against the door, waiting and listening for my parents to say goodbye to Eddie, but instead I heard dad call my name. I sighed a little in disappointment before leaving my room and appearing at the top of the stairs. Dad beckoned me with his hand,"Come say goodbye to Eddie." I slowly made my way down the steps and to the front door to face Eddie, with dad standing behind us. "Um, thank you for looking after me,"I said quietly. My dad smiled and nodded approvingly then headed towards the kitchen. I was about to turn around to follow him, expecting Eddie to let himself out, but he suddenly smiled wide from my words and gave me a big bear hug that made me jump again. "You're welcome,"he said. The hug was beginning to last a little too long for my liking, I patted his back awkwardly making him pull away and smile one last time. "See you Janie,"he said as he opened the door. "Bye.."I mumbled.

When he left I closed and locked the front door before entering the kitchen to see dad. He and mum were busy storing away new food but he greeted me with a friendly ruffle to my hair, making me smack his hand away playfully and giggle. Mum barely gave me a second glance. I hated to admit that I favoured my dad more, he always showed that he cared about me. Mum only asked Eddie to babysit me because dad gets iffy if I'm left home alone, she isn't really bothered if I'm by myself. Mum and I never really agreed on things either, we'd often argue and she never apologises for anything wrong that she does. I still love her of course though, and I'm thankful that my parents get along and haven't split.

I watched them as they packed away frozen meals into the freezer, they didn't ask for help so I didn't try to. Mum sighed at me. "Why don't you go to bed now or something?"she said. I felt myself tense up from her words, trying not to start another argument. "My 'bedtime' is still ages away,"I retorted. "And I'm not even doing anything, how is this bothering you?" I heard her sigh again and say nothing more, dad raised an eyebrow at me but didn't say anything either, he didn't like to get involved with our fights. He does stop us when it starts to get loud though, he always found a way to calm us down.