Chapter 8 - Tears

Eddie left the room after five minutes when he realised I've had nothing to eat today, he smiled and told me to stay put while he made lunch, as if this was all normal. I was left on the bed in this small, dark basement. I held myself and cried some more, the tears coming back again. Everything happened so fast, is this real? I never in a million years would think Eddie would kidnap me. I hopped off the bed but my steps were wobbly and my breathing went funny for some reason, I made my way to the door slowly. I twisted the doorknob twice but it didn't open. Even though I was expecting it to be locked, I began to hyperventilate again. It's as if I'm only just realising now, that I'm trapped. I sank down to the floor and cried, I cried for mum and dad.

I wiped my face with my sleeve after a while, my cheeks damp from the tears. I took in my surroundings, this didn't even look like a basement to be honest, it looked more like a child's bedroom, the type of girl who still loves the colour pink and still plays with horses. The bed had a cherry coloured duvet with plump pink and white pillows, several of them in the shape of a heart. There was no hard concrete ground like I thought a basement would have, it was carpet, a perfect soft white. There was a small blue and pink wardrobe in the room with a matching makeup table, an oval mirror hanging in front of it. Beside the bed was a small wooden table with a fairy lamp placed on top to give a comforting glow to the room, it was the only thing providing light in here, Eddie left the ceiling light off since he's expecting me to stay in bed. It looked like a bedroom I would have wished for when I was seven. Mum never would have wanted to waste so much money on designing a bedroom. My eyes pricked with tears at the thought of the recent arguments we had, I suddenly didn't care about those times and wanted to be with her now, with dad alongside us. I started calling their names with a pained voice, my cries getting louder and louder, my throat hurting from it all.

Eddie came back then, startling me as he opened the door. He shook his head when he found me crying and crouched down to my level, he started stroking my hair while shushing me. "It's okay Janie, I'm here,"he said. I moved away from his hand and held the back of my head, shaking uncontrollably. I considered getting up and running past him for freedom, but I knew that would be a stupid move, he'll grab me before I get to the stairs. I flinched as I felt him scoop me up in his arms, I stayed curled in a ball and covered my face. He held me to his chest and continued to shush me in my ear this time. "My poor little baby, don't cry Janie,"he whispered. He sounded like how my dad would soothe me when I was a child. It only made me cry harder and I began thrashing, wanting to be back home and wanting him to stop cradling me.

"P-Put me down,"I cried shakily. Eddie looked a little hurt from that, he was just trying to calm me. I didn't want his kindness though, I wriggled some more but he didn't let go, he was stronger than he looked. "Okay, okay,"he said placatingly. He carried me over to the bed and placed me down gently against the pillows, he tried pulling the blanket up over my lap but I shoved it away. "D-Don't touch me,"I said while rubbing my eyes. I then started coughing badly, my throat was extremely sore now and felt a little itchy. Eddie acted quickly when I couldn't stop,"It's okay! Wait here Janie." He dashed out the room to get something, leaving the door wide open. I could see the stairs leading up to the ground floor, tempting me to gather the courage to run - but he came back almost immediately. He had a tray of food in hand, he set it down on the bedside table and handed me a cup of Pepsi. I gulped down half the drink fast while he watched and took a seat on the edge of the bed.

When I put the cup back down and stopped crying Eddie scooted a little closer to me, placing a hand beside my leg. "Are you okay now Janie?"he asked gently. I tried kicking him again. "No, of course I'm not, I want to go home!"I shrieked, near tears all over again. Eddie frowned a little. "Janie, you are home,"he said. I was about to shout at him again until I saw something in his pocket, it looked like another needle. Eddie put his finger to his lips, telling me to be quiet, I swallowed. "I don't want to have to keep using these, but I will if you don't calm down, okay?" I nodded quickly out of fear making him smile. He placed the tray on my lap and sat himself opposite me, crossing his legs to watch. "Now, will you please eat your lunch?"he asked. I looked down sadly and nodded again, he smiled, showing his cute dimples. "Good,"he said. I think he wanted to add 'girl' to that but stopped himself.

He made me pasta, topped with cheese and crispy fried onions, it was something we'd always eat whenever he came over for dinner when we were younger. I didn't want to please him but I found myself licking my lips anyway, I've missed this meal, mum rarely serves it now. My stomach rumbled quietly. I picked up my fork to eat, it was delicious but it was difficult since my hands were shaking, I didn't like people watching me eat and I couldn't relax of course. I didn't ask Eddie to leave, it looked like he wouldn't be persuaded. He wanted to watch me. When pasta fell off my fork and back to the plate for the fifth time, Eddie gently took my fork away. "Do you want me to feed you?"he asked, his eyes gleaming a little. I looked down uncomfortably. "No thanks, I'm not that hungry anymore,"I mumbled. I decided not to shout at him anymore, the sight of the needle peeking out from his pocket scared me, I didn't want him to use it again.

Eddie nodded,"Okay." He patted my head before taking the tray away, I only managed to eat half a plate. "I'm proud of you for trying Janie." I cringed a little, he's sounding like my parents when I never finished all my vegetables as a toddler. Before he left the room again he said,"I'll be back later Janie, I have some things to do but I'll come back in time for dinner, stay in bed for rest." I knew he was referring to my weak state because of the drug, but the numbing was starting to wear off. After he closed the door I heard a click sound, the sound of him locking it. I sniffed a little and held myself again, to be fair he was trying to be kind at first, but now he has to use fear to control me, he knows I'm afraid of injections. No, what am I thinking? None of this is fair, I never wanted to be here.

I started weeping again when I thought of my parents, I've been out of the house for at least four hours now, they'd be getting worried. I tried calming myself as I remembered, Eddie sent them an email about my dental appointment, they must know where I am and that Eddie has something to do with this, they'll come find me here then I'll be free again. My heart nearly stopped as I thought some more, Eddie isn't stupid, he wouldn't leave any clues, he lied to me about telling my parents just how he lied about me needing braces. I started howling again, no one will be coming here to search for me.

When my cries died down I rubbed my face with my fists again then glanced around the room for a second time, he's made a big effort to try make me happy and comfortable here, and it sickened me. The bouquet of flowers were still beside me, I moved them away even though they looked lovely. I got under the covers to hide my face and cry some more, I accidentally kicked something at the end of the bed. I poked my head back over the covers to see some presents left for me, the ones I didn't open earlier. I got angry then, does he really think he can bribe me to stay with presents? I seized the flowers and chucked them on the floor, I was tempted to stamp on them too but then got worried of what Eddie's reaction might be. What if he really snaps if I did something bad? He already said that he wouldn't hurt me but I can't tell with him now. I thought I knew him, but he's not the same person anymore.