Chapter 16 - Progress

The next day I got to try out my new phone when Eddie left for work, and the first thing I noticed was there was no SIM card. He was careful here, just in case I wanted to call home or the police, but nevertheless, I think he trusts me more now. Mustn't he? I breathed out and felt a sense of relief then, as if I'm happy I can't phone home. Shouldn't I be disappointed? I do still want to go back, but at the same time I didn't feel like I wanted to leave, I can't make up my mind. I felt ashamed of myself for thinking that, but it was true. The thought of leaving Eddie now makes me feel guilty and frown, I've seemed to grow on him these past few weeks and I didn't know why. I never thought of him that way before despite him being obsessed with me, I don't know why I'm accepting it now.

I ignored those unwanted thoughts and turned back to my phone, smiling slightly as I played pointless but fun little games on it. I listened to my favourite music for a while, and it felt good to hear a song again, but it somehow made the room even quieter. Even lonelier. I was glad when Eddie finally came home. He smiled at me as he shut the door behind him,"Like your present then Janie?" I politely put my phone aside to talk to him and smiled back. "Yeah, thank you Eddie, I love it,"I said gratefully. As much as I did truly love it, it just made me sad when I used it. He beckoned me for a hug so I obediently hopped off the bed to wrap my arms round him, he sniffed my hair a little as he hugged me back. "My sweet girl,"he whispered.

Later that night after he fed me dinner I got myself changed into my nightdress, Eddie remained on the bed and I noticed he was looking through my phone, he set up the password so he could access it anytime he wanted to. I realised he was looking through my search history and all the apps I had downloaded, that bothered me a little. I guess he's just looking out for me so I shouldn't complain about it, right? I still felt a little down and those words I just told myself didn't sound right anyway. Did he really not trust me? Well, I suppose I didn't fully trust him either. Even so, he called me his good girl when we cuddled in bed, planting several soft kisses on my cheek.

* * *
I think he knew he upset me because the very next morning he announced something big. I rubbed my eyes as Eddie held my hands, staring into my soul while smiling. "Janie, I think you're ready to move into my room upstairs, you're now free to see the rest of my house - well, our house,"he said. I blushed at that last part but also felt my heart start hammering in my chest, it's been a whole month of being stuck in the basement, I felt a little excited to finally have more space and see a bit of sunlight. Guilt attacked me though when I remembered vowing I'd escape as soon as I was allowed upstairs, was I even planning to do that now? I decided to ignore that thought, I wrapped my arms tight round Eddie's neck as a 'thank you' gesture. Eddie hugged me back gently before pulling away a little to look me in the eye, he held my arms and was trying to look serious - but he's too soft on me. "But Janie, I'm warning you now, please don't break my trust. I'm going to have to make some rules; you cannot leave the house of course, no peeking through the windows at the front of the house, and no shouting so someone can hear you,"he said, a slight strict tone in his voice. His house was in a quiet area, I doubted his neighbours would hear me if I screamed, but definitely the mailman or whoever was passing by. I nodded immediately to what he said. He smiled gently again and slowly pulled me back into the hug, he kissed my cheek before whispering,"Good girl."

Eddie tenderly took my hand and lifted me off the bed, he wanted to help me walk since I haven't moved around properly in a while, my steps were quite weak and my knees shook a little. I tucked my phone in my pocket before he unlocked the basement door and opened it slowly, I felt myself smile as he guided me up the stairs. He opened a second door which revealed his living room, and I felt myself smile from the space. So much space, and something new. The colour scheme was white and a soft brown. I took in my surroundings in awe, I visited Eddie when we were younger but that was his parent's house, I've never been inside his own apart from the basement now. There was plank flooring which felt smooth beneath my feet and a soft white square rug between the sofa and TV, a plant pot and remote sitting on the coffee table. Everything looked cosy and spotless, the kitchen counters seemed to shine and even the fruit from the fruit bowl. I had to squint my eyes for the first few minutes of the tour since it was brighter up here with the curtains slightly open, but Eddie was patient, it's a Sunday so he was in no rush. It was weird seeing daylight through the windows, but I was careful not to stare too much or go near them in case I upset him.