Chapter 3 - The Awkward Trait

I sighed a little sadly when I awoke the next morning. It's Friday, a day we had to do physical education in school, not my favourite subject. I had a quick breakfast before snatching up my P.E kit and dashing out the door to meet Breah. She had a similar expression on her face, she's not particularly sporty either. There was only one good thing about Fridays, it's the last day of school so you could go home knowing you can relax for the weekend.

Breah was talking about a TV show most of the walk to school, despite her girly side she was pretty nerdy once you got to know her. I lost focus on her speaking when I saw Calum on the other side of the road, walking to school too. Breah caught me staring and smirked. "I know you like him,"Breah said, giving me a hard nudge. I rubbed my arm. "I do not,"I lied. Breah sighed happily. "Go talk to him,"she said. I was going to insist she stayed but she already started skipping ahead, leaving me behind. Calum looked my way once she left, our eyes locked for a moment and we both smiled at each other nervously, my cheeks going pink. I fidgeted a little while walking, trying to gather the courage to go up to him and talk.

I was about to cross the road to meet him, when I suddenly felt hands be placed on my shoulders firmly from behind, making me jump violently. "Hey Janieee,"I heard Eddie say cheerfully. I stopped walking to face him, now feeling embarrassed and a bit confused. Why is he here? "Oh, hi Eddie,"I mumbled. I saw Calum stop walking too out the corner of my eye, he scratched his neck a little awkwardly, perhaps he realised I wanted something and was waiting for me. I was going to end the conversation so I could talk to Calum, but Eddie stopped that from happening. "Why are you walking alone? I'll walk you to school if you want,"he said. I turned to look at Calum and then back at Eddie. "I...Um..."I stammered. I saw Calum give me a shy wave before he continued walking, making me feel a little disappointed. I had a perfect chance to speak to him which was ruined again. "I insist,"Eddie said, patting my head.

Eddie's smile faded slightly as he then picked up a lock of my hair. "Hey, what have you done to your hair?"he asked, frowning a little. I felt myself blush, now feeling self conscious of how I look, perhaps it didn't look good. Eddie noticed my sad face and apologised quickly,"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that! It looks lovely, I'm just saying it's new for you." He ran his fingers through my hair, smoothing strands slowly away from my face, his mouth slightly open from smiling and his eyes fixed on my hair. I began to feel uncomfortable as his hand was lingering for a while now. When Eddie's eyes met mine again he realised my discomfort and moved his hand away quickly before smiling sweetly. "Anyway, I've just come to tell you that you have a dental appointment after school today,"he said. My spirits had gone further down when he said that, I just wanted to go straight home and start the weekend by having a lazy afternoon. "I hope you've been brushing,"he added. He poked the corners of my lips and turned them upwards into a smile before patting my shoulder and marching us forward, I guess he's walking me to school now.

Eddie tried holding my hand but I gently shook my arm away and mumbled,"I'm not a kid anymore." He looked a little hurt at first but he smiled again instead. "Of course, I'm sorry, I haven't realised how much you've grown,"Eddie said, giving me another pat on the head. He kept talking to me the whole walk to school but I'd only give vague answers or a nod to the head, not really listening. The bitter winter air nipped at my face and it turned my hands pale and numb, I tried not to rub them in case Eddie suggested to hold hands again for warmth. Some girls were staring my way when we neared the school, some of them raising eyebrows at me but some of them looking impressed, it's only because I'm walking with an older boy.

When we reached the school entrance I stopped and stood there, looking down and shuffling from side to side. "Um, thanks for walking me,"I said. Eddie was about to hug me again but thankfully Breah came to my side. "Janie! What took you so long?"she asked. Breah blushed a little and smiled when she found Eddie beside me, she practically turned red when she realised how tall he was, looking like a tomato. Eddie smiled politely back at her before turning to me and placing a hand on my shoulder. "Well, I'll see you later Janie, the appointment's at quarter past three okay?"Eddie said. I nodded to that making him grin and turn to cross the road again, girls were staring at me, looking bewildered, and it was my turn to go red. Why did he have to walk me? He could have just given the school receptionist a message about the appointment.