Chapter 38 - The First Punishment

The fun didn't last for long though. I felt sad and anxious again when I had to get up for school on Monday. I forgot to ask Eddie to help with my studying, I don't know what to say if Calum confronted me, and I couldn't face Breah anymore. She didn't feel like the same person with Anna now. Eddie could see I looked worried about school when he was brushing my hair, he wrapped his arms round my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder, giving my cheek a kiss. "You okay?"he whispered. I nodded weakly, I wasn't convincing. Eddie thought for a moment then he smiled. "You want to know how I know things will be fine?"he asked. I stared at him with interest. He picked up my ladybird hairclip that was left on his desk and gently tucked it in my hair. "Ladybirds symbolise good luck, just remember you have it with you and you'll be alright,"Eddie kissed my cheek again. I stared at myself in the mirror and touched my hairclip, I smiled.

When Eddie dropped me off at school I gave him a big hug before leaving the car, not caring if other students could see. When I pulled away Eddie asked,"Do you want me to drive you home after school too?" Even though he'd rather I cling to him all the time, I wanted to prove to him that I was alright now, that I was more confident from his words. "No thanks, I'll be okay. Plus I have my phone with me just in case,"I said, showing him my pocket. He was content with this and smiled warmly.

Before I got to my classroom I was confronted in the hallway by someone, my heart sank when I realised it was Mrs Sanders. "Hello Janie, it's good to see you!"she said. She made it sound like she wasn't expecting me to come into school, I blushed. But I knew she was only going to ask if I agreed to do the gym club, I completely forgot about that. She smiled. "So, did you think it over?"she asked. I was stuck on what to say, I simply shrugged in the end. She looked a little sad, but luckily not too disappointed. Mrs Sanders gave my shoulder a pat,"Well, no worries, you take your time Janie. I won't bother you no more, off to class then."

The first two lessons at school felt slow. At first my brain wouldn't wake up, I couldn't focus and grew sleepy from staring at the same paragraph in a text book a hundred times. Eddie makes me sleep at half nine on school nights, sometimes even earlier, so I had plenty of rest. I just couldn't get back into this routine. I was jumpy as usual and I think a few students were staring at me from time to time, I nearly nodded off into my book altogether at one point. When I heard sniggering it woke me up properly and I blushed hard. I could hear occasional whispering from the table behind me, where Anna was sitting, and she kept passing notes back and forth to Breah. They both kept glancing at me, so I couldn't help but assume they were gossiping about me. I frowned and sunk in my chair.

It wasn't until break time when things got better. I somehow didn't notice it again, but Calum kept looking at me. This stare was different this time, he looked more worried than concerned, and he looked more shy than usual. I swallowed. I have no idea what that letter said. I tucked my hair behind my ear when the bell rang for break, I grabbed my backpack and shot out the classroom, but to my surprise he actually came after me. "Janie! Janie wait!"
I stopped walking and bit my cheeks when I turned to see Calum hurrying after me. His own cheeks looked a little pink. It took him a moment to speak. "Did you...did you get my letter?"he asked nervously. I didn't know my excuse yet so I only said a quiet 'oh..'

He scratched his neck,"I would have asked you in person, or at least over the phone, but your mum said you don't live with her right now..?" I blushed. I didn't like explaining that I was temporarily living with an older guy I'm not related to. "Yeah, um...my mum mentioned a letter, but she couldn't find it when she visited me,"I lied. I couldn't tell him Eddie read it himself then ripped it up. Calum blushed hard and whispered an 'oh' too. "So you didn't read it..."he mumbled to himself. He looked a little sad. I was really curious to what the message was now, and I knew Eddie would never tell me. I tucked my hair behind my ear again which brushed my hairclip, I felt a little confident again. I held my backpack straps and asked,"What did it say?" I was a little surprised that my voice didn't stutter then, I sounded clear for once. Calum looked taken aback too, it looked like it was his turn to find an excuse. "Well, it's just that I noticed...you looked a little alone on Friday. Did you want to sit with me and my friends at lunch?"he rambled awkwardly. I didn't think that's what the letter said, Eddie wouldn't get that mad over an invitation to lunch. But I smiled a little anyway, I could use the company.