Chapter 26 - Friends

It was 11:02, only two minutes late. Would Breah even still like me? It was only a few months since I've last seen her but it felt like much longer. I got so anxious that I was even hoping for a minute that Breah had forgotten about the visit - but she showed up of course. I felt guilty for hoping she wouldn't come, because as soon as mum ushered me to answer the door and she stepped in, I wanted to cry all over again. She hadn't changed at all, her glossy blonde hair was still tied up in a loose bun, she was still wearing a bit of makeup, her usual jeans and crop-top, she smiled shakily at me and I knew she was still my best friend from the sad look in her green sparkly eyes, she didn't look awkward or uncomfortable to be here. She looked glad.

She whispered,"Hey Janie." We both then rushed into each other for a long hug, and I already felt the tears streaming down my cheeks, just like when I finally came home to mum and dad. I felt embarrassed and stupidly babyish for crying in front of her for the first time, but she started crying too. Breah wiped her watery eyes, accidentally smudging a bit of mascara. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry and upset you, I'm just so glad you're okay,"Breah said happily. Breah's mum was there behind her, but she looked more like an older sister really. When I first met her a year ago she laughed at the expression on my face when she introduced herself as her mum, Mrs Walberg. She was holding a tote bag right now, she swished her ginger hair aside and pulled off her sunglasses, though it was close to raining outside. She squashed me in a tight embrace. "Jane darling, it's so good to see you,"Mrs Walberg said, her accent sounding very snooty. She knows I prefer to be called Janie but she won't hear of it, she thinks Jane sounds more sophisticated.

Mum came to my side and smiled at her, but it looked rather forced. Last year Breah's mum used to visit a couple times for brunch, but I knew my own mum couldn't stand her. She told me Mrs Walberg can act so self-important and arrogant at times, at first I thought she was just jealous of how young she looked, but I eventually understood what she meant. Mum composed herself for me though, she was fond of Breah and didn't want our friendship to end. Mrs Walberg then gave a similar greeting to mum, as if they were best friends too, hugging her hard yet distantly. When she pulled away she rubbed her hands together in an excited manner,"So! I have some gifts for little Jane, let's come along." She ushered us into the living room as if it were her own house, Breah's cheeks went bright red and she whispered a quiet 'sorry' to me, but I just giggled at that. Breah giggled too and held my hand as we followed them into the living room. We haven't held hands in a while and we were too old for it now, but it didn't feel weird.

We both took a seat on the sofa as Mrs Walberg then greeted dad, hugging him a little longer than she did to me and mum. I guess that's why mum hated her, but thankfully dad was faithful, he sat right next to mum and slipped an arm round her for reassurance. Mrs Walberg sat on dad's chair but no one stopped her. She started unloading gifts from the tote bag, placing clothes and accessories and makeup and little chocolates on the coffee table, but she kept it near the edge, seeming afraid of germs. She pointed to a little water ring on the table where dad forgot to use a coaster,"Just don't want to get the gifts wet. You know I can help clean around here any time you need, Maura dear." Mum's lips were pulled into a tight smile and I didn't blame her, I was irritated too. I felt so bad for mum. All she does is clean.

Eddie then came to join us in the living room, and I suddenly felt nervous about him cuddling me with Breah here. Luckily Mrs Walberg got to him first, giving him a big greet too, Eddie had to take a step back from how sudden it was. "Hello gorgeous, I don't believe we've met,"Mrs Walberg said, in an almost, flirtatious tone. Breah and I clamped our lips shut, near laughing. I knew by the way Eddie looked at her that he didn't like her at all, he heard her patronising poor mum. But nevertheless he shook her hand and smiled politely,"I'm Eddie, nice to meet you, I'm good friends with the Pargans." Mrs Walberg covered her mouth and gasped dramatically. "You're the kind soul who found poor Jane, well bless you child,"she said.