Chapter 28 - The Barbecue

That afternoon, after Eddie was satisfied, I had to unpack most my things in the guest bedroom upstairs. It felt weird walking around there since I've only ever slept in Eddie's room and the one specially made for me in the basement. The basement didn't look like how it did before. My pink duvet covers were stripped off and replaced with a plain white, all the girly things sitting on the makeup table was gone and all the outfits hung up for me in the wardrobe was gone. Eddie smiled and told me he didn't throw it all away, he was just hiding it temporarily because the police had checked his house a month ago now. Eddie handed me back my first phone, but it felt weird having two. My first one didn't have a SIM card but it had more space and the model was more expensive and up to date. My new phone wasn't as fancy but it did give me the chance to call anyone, I have my parent's phone numbers there in my contacts list. I felt more safe with this one.

Eddie frowned when he saw me holding my new phone around everywhere. He gently took it away from me just before dinner. "I think we need limited screen time Janie,"he said gently. I didn't like how he said that, like he was my dad, I wasn't even using it. But I just looked down sadly. When Eddie served out a plate of curry and rice for me I obediently sat down at the table. I frowned a little when he took his plate and sat opposite me, I was used to having mum and dad at the table now too. It was relatively quiet the whole time we ate, I was uncomfortable from what happened earlier. I still felt sore down there, so I'd be constantly shifting in my seat, and it was scary seeing that side of him. I pushed my rice around with my fork as I looked down, my lip starting to quiver as I tried not to cry. Eddie cleared his throat then, it killed him whenever he saw me cry. He smiled a little,"If the sun stays tomorrow, we'll be having a barbecue back at your parents house, Janie. Your mum has invited a few of your classmates too." I didn't know how to react to this. I'd love a barbecue in the back garden, but my stomach churned at the thought of mum inviting a few people. She only knows I'm friends with Breah, I don't really talk to anyone else. I'd die if she invited every girl in my class, I wasn't fond of many of them.

Even though everything of mine was unpacked in the guest bedroom, Eddie steered me to his own bedroom when it was time to sleep. I guess I'm only sleeping upstairs when someone visits. I nearly went lightheaded when I stared at the bedroom window and the slider doors. Curtains covered them shut, as usual, so I couldn't see outside. But I knew the garden was there, and I felt like screaming everytime I remember what happened. What Eddie did. What I lead Eddie to do because I was so stupid. I gulped and tried not to think of it. I flinched when Eddie gently touched my arm, he realised I was in a scary trance. He didn't say anything about it though, he already told me firmly that we'll never speak of it again. He carefully changed me into my nightdress and socks before we both got under the covers. I tensed up and shivered when he cuddled me to his chest, I was still anxious and scared from what he did earlier. I held in my tears. I found as the hours went by I was more anxious of the barbecue tomorrow instead. Sensing something was wrong, Eddie stroked my hair and gave me small kisses until I settled down.

* * *
The next day I was even quieter all morning. I wanted to feel excited but I was still worried about who my mum had invited. "Janie, are you okay?"Eddie asked gently. I barely touched my breakfast because I suddenly felt sick again. Eddie moved his chair so he was beside me and held my waist. "You know, you don't have to go if you don't want to baby,"he whispered. He kissed my cheek and smiled a little, I think he secretly wanted me to stay. As he fed me my breakfast I decided I'd still go anyway, I don't want to hurt mum and dad's feelings and I don't want to be rude to my classmates and not show up.

In the early afternoon Eddie tied my shoelaces for me before he lead me to his car. I was wearing some denim shorts and a pink tank top with my turquoise converse shoes, it was finally hot enough to wear this. It was boiling in the car so the leather seat burned my legs a little and my forehead grew sweaty, Eddie opened the car window for me on the drive there. When we parked outside my parent's house I sunk down in my seat when I saw a few girls from my class walking up the road, no one I knew lived on this street so I knew it was for the barbecue. Eddie placed his hand over mine so I'd look at him. "I'll be with you the whole time Janie. Just say the word and I'll take you home,"he said. He stroked my ring finger then leaned in for a quick kiss.