Old Friend (Rika's POV)

Why does Nari have to be here? I nervously played with my hands. Riku noticed.

He whispered to me in Japanese so the others couldn't hear or understand.

"Is everything alright?" He looked worried. I forced a smile.

"Yeah. I just used to know this girl. No worries," I whispered back.

"Are you sure?" he asked again.

"Yes. Don't worry," I said with a forced smile.

"Rika, what brings you here?" Nari asked me with a smile.

"I was just hanging out with my friends," I replied.

"I see. How have you been?" she asked.

"I have been fine. You?" We continued our casual conversation with forced smiles.

Nari took a seat next to Y/N who was sitting next to Jimin.

"Long time no see, huh?" Nari looked at me.

"Yeah," I replied, feeling uncomfortable.

"I'm surprised you remember me," Nari suddenly said.

Of course I remember you. You were the one who made my high school days a living hell. We were friends in grade school, but you stabbed me in the back in high school. You spread rumors about me. You beat me up when no one was looking. You framed me for things I would never do. You almost got me expelled. You stole my boyfriend by spreading false information to him and his friends. You used to be so sweet in grade and middle school. What happened to you, Nari?

"Listen, Rika. I'm so sorry for what happened in high school." Nari stood up and bowed. I was shocked.

"Nari?" I asked.

"It was wrong of me. I sincerely regret what I did. I used to be so jealous of the attention you received, and I wanted it all for myself. I'm so sorry, Rika." She sounded close to tears. If she was lying, she was really convincing.

"Nari. I cannot forgive you for what you've done. But, it's in the past. I am different now," I said with no emotion.

Everyone watched us in silence.

"Friends?" Nari reached her hand out to me.

I was tempted to take it.

She used to be my best friend.

But, she was my high school bully.

She was there for me in grade school when I needed her the most.

In high school she wasn't.

She looks like she changed.

Once a bully, always a bully.

Maybe she's different now?

She will always be the same.

Just take her hand already.

I don't want to experience the past again.

She's waiting. Hurry up already.

What if she hasn't changed?

She wants to start over.

She was the reason I am like this now.

Everyone's waiting on me.

I can't do it after all.

These thoughts were the only ones in my head right now. I stared at her hand. Without noticing, I started crying. Riku was the first to talk.

"Rika! Are you okay? Why are you crying?" Riku wiped my tears with his napkin.

"I am?" I touched my face. Sure enough, there were tears on my face.

"Rika. I understand if you don't want to be my friend again. I just hope you don't hate me. It's my fault anyways. I was always jealous of how pretty you were." Nari pulled back her hand in disappointment.

"I don't hate you," I whispered.

"Rika, make sure to tell me about this. That's my job as your closest and only relative," Riku held my hand in his, assuring me that I wasn't alone.

"Thank you," I said, squeezing his hand in return.

He smiled. I almost feel bad for being mean to him all those years. I'm sorry, Riku. I don't have the courage to say it out loud. I'm sorry.

"Well, this mood got depressing," the one with the purple hair commented. I think his name was Naoko? Or Naoka? Or maybe Naoki? It was probably Naoki.

"I agree," Jimin said.

Riku and Jiho were next to me. I scooted closer to Riku because I didn't feel comfortable.

"Let's order something now!" Yuki said energetically, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah!" Akira followed.

Akira and Yuki went up to order. The rest of us stayed at the table. Everyone else was talking except me and Nari. Since Nari and I were right across from each other, it just made things even more awkward.

"Drinks are here!" Akira came back with a smile and a tray of drinks.

I didn't want anything special, so I took the water I ordered. Jiho was drinking a strawberry smoothie. Although strawberries were my favorite, I didn't order the drink.

"Here, you've been eyeing my drink for a while. If you wanted some, you could've just asked." He slid his drink over to me, offering it.

"I'm fine," I said dismissively and slid it back over.

"I didn't ask if you were fine. I'm handing my drink to you." He slid the drink over again. I was starting to get irritated.

"Now listen here you little-" Jiho interrupted me.

"There's the Rika we all know and love." He laughed and smiled at me.

I see. This was his attempt to get me to act normal. That was actually kind of sweet of him.

"Idiot," I mumbled.

"Do you want the drink?" he asked again.

"Yeah, whatever," I replied and took a sip from it.

"Good, right?" he asked and smiled.

"I guess." I put the drink down on the table.

He reached his arm over and took it back. He then took a sip of it, using the same straw I used.

"I thought you weren't drinking it?" I asked.

"Well, I did order it. I'm not gonna drink your plain old water," he mocked.

"You little-" he cut me off again.

"I'm taller than you," he said and looked over at me and smirked.

"I'm stronger than you," I replied.

"We both know that's not true," he teased.

"I hate you." This phrase was the only I could think of.

"Weak reply from you. I expected better." Jiho stifled a laugh.

"Screw off, shithead." I crossed my arms.

He just laughed and continued drinking his smoothie. That idiot is so interesting yet weird. He is entertaining just to talk to. So weird.

~

A/N: Now that you've seen why she is the way she is, what do you think of Rika now?