46

"Congratulations you two!" Mum pulls me into a hug. "Mum I'm so glad you came" I hug her tightly.

"I had to play it off like that, I'm sorry. And they let your dad come too, he's still a little weak" mum tells me. I go over to dad hugging him tightly.

"I'm so proud of you Athena Elle" he kisses the top of my head. "Also a very big congratulations to you and Shawn" he says smiling. I pull back slowly and Shawn snakes his arm around my waist.

"Well we should get going now, god I'm so tired" I chuckles tiredly. "Well go get some rest and we can meet up for some lunch and talk about the show!" Mum says excitedly. I give my last goodbyes then Shawn leads me to his car.

"I can't believe we're engaged" I mumble looking down at the sparkly ring. Shawn hums as he keeps his eyes in the road ahead. Is this how people act when they're engaged? I take it that he's just exhausted from today so I keep quiet but I couldn't help it, I was too excited, the idea of marrying the love of my life made me feel things I couldn't explain.

"The show was so good right? Everything went so perfectly" I say. "Oh and the set up, I think at the last minute Erica decided to have all those flowers going down the side, it was a nice touch-"

"We're here" he cuts me off sharply. "Oh okay" I get out the car taking my bag then quickly go over to Shawn taking his hand as we get into the lift. I wanted to feel so close to him right now.

"Are you okay?" I ask him looking up at him. "I need to talk to you" he says seriously and I feel my stomach drop.

"Shawn... please don't do anything to ruin this. I'm so happy right now. I- I don't even want to know why you're taking to Camille, just tell me everything is okay, honestly I'm just so happy right now, I don't want to ruin it" I tell him. He walks out the elevator and I catch up following him inside.

"Shawn? What happened? You just proposed to me and now you're being like this" I huff putting my bag down following him to the bedroom.

"Athena, I love you, I really do. I love you with my whole heart and I'll never stop-"

"They why are you being like this. Can't we just be happy?" I ask sadly. "I mean this should be the happiest day of our lives, we have a future Shawn"

He looks away from me using his fingers to rub at his temples. "What is it Shawn? Just say it-"

"I got paid to propose to you" he blurts out. And in that moment I never felt so betrayed, so lost and confused. I felt as if my soul had left my body.

"W-what?" I ask. I had nothing else to say. I felt so dirty, so fake and used. Just like that night.

He huffs standing in front of me and he finally looks at me with glossy eyes. "Athena my career... I'm not getting much attention. My publicist Alice told me to either be seen out with Camille or propose to you" he admits and I felt my throat burn.

"I called Camille and she said that I should just be seen with her but that would've felt so wrong" he says.

"So instead you fake proposed to me in front of everyone. My family and friends, the whole world is going to see that Shawn" I say sadly, my eyes brimming with tears.

"But- but would you have rather me be with Camille?" He asks me.

"I would've preferred it if you told me" I say in frustration. It's like I could physically feel my heart breaking.

"I can't believe this" I say under my breath. I look down at the floor not wanting to even look at him anymore. "Athena-"

"Don't" I shake my head. I move away and go to get my bag silently.

"What're you doing?" He asks me. "You can't just leave, it's just something we'll get over Athena" he tugs my arm back. "Get over?" I scoff. I tug my arms back.

"You need to understand-"

"Understand? You betrayed me Shawn, twice now" I spit. "How could you? I gave you a second chance and this time it's so much worse. I love you with everything I have. I didn't hesitate to say yes to you and now to find out you got paid to go give me a ring for your career, you have no idea how that makes me feel" I shout at him, my fists hitting his hard chest.

"Athena-"

"Just shut up saying my name! I don't want anything from you Shawn Mendes. Just stay away from me" I move back sliding the ring of my finger. I put it down on the counter and reach for the door but he pulls me back quickly.

"I still love you" he says holding me close. I shuffle out of his arms moving my hair out of my face as it was sticking to damp cheeks. Hot tears running down my face.

"No... no you don't and stop saying it. How could you do that to someone you love? You're- you're selfish Shawn" I spit opening the door.

"Don't you dare leave Athena, not again" he yells at me. I squeeze my eyes shut then turn around to him so he's right in front of me.

And with everything I had left I raise my hand slapping him hard across the cheek.

"Stay away from me" I spit then finally I get to walk away from the one thing in my life that I truly loved.