67

Athena Elle Carter

"Happy birthday!" I jump up behind Shawn. He chuckles turning around to me. "Thank you" he gives me a toothy smile.

"So, you know how last night I didn't let you downstairs-"

"Yeah I know. I just wanted some water" he says crossing his arms over his chest. "And I got you some water, me and my pregnant ass went down and got you some- anyway besides the point. Lets go downstairs" I bite down on my lip to contain my excitement.

"Erm okay" he looks at me weirdly then I turn around walking away. Shawn was still someone I cared about, I love him, I'm just not ready say it. I just want a small bit of validation, I mean after thing we've been through that's all I want.

"Ready?" I ask him. "Hmm what is-"

"Surprise!" All his friends and family shout whilst pooping the party poppers. I hear his adorable laugh as he scoots past me to hug his mum and dad.

I watch in complete and utter happiness as he hugs everyone individually thanking them for just being here with the biggest grin on his face.

"Should we start the breakfast?" Karen asks me. "Yeah, I had the table set up outside" I tell her as I slip my shoes on walking out, I opened up the large windows so the house was free flowing in and out. Then there was a white table at the side of the garden decorated in huge balloons and breakfast all over.

"I'll call everyone out" Karen squeezes my shoulder walking out. I nod at her then just look around making sure everything was I expected.

As everyone makes their easy outside I get a call making me jump. I quickly walk inside as everyone goes out to answer the call.

"Erica! I miss you so much!" I sigh sitting down on the large grey sofa looking outside to see everyone chatting and eating with Shawn.

"I miss you too babe, it's Shawn's birthday today right? How's that?" She asks me. "It's just started. All his friends and family are here" I tell her.

"And have you two made up?" She asks me. "We're fine Erica. Like we're civil. He knows I'm still regaining his trust and he's working on getting it" I say rubbing over my bump. "Enough about me, why'd you call?" I ask her.

"Can't I speak to you?" She chuckles. "You can obviously, just it's unexpected" I say honestly.

"Fine then. You know Yvette? She wanted me to be the one to ask you if you'd work on a line with Empire" she says.

I freeze out of excitement.

"And this is different because it'll have your name on it, not you as an editor but as an independent designer" she says happily.

"Holy shit" I chuckle. "For real?" I ask.

"Yes for real. Think about it, then call me back. It's a great opportunity Athena" she says.

"I know" I mumble in disbelief. "I'll let you know in a few days"

"Perfect. Now go enjoy your fiancés birthday. Keep me updated"

"I will. Bye love" I sigh in bliss. "Bye babe" she ends the call.

"Hope you heard that" I say to my stomach. I grin to myself then I look out. Shawn looked so happy, he looked so unbothered and carefree.

I get up walking out and he immediately looks up at me.

"Sit here, I saved you a spot" he tells me pulling out the chair. I go over grinning like a school girl at his boyish actions.

"What was that about?" He asks me placing a plate in front of me. "I'll tell you later" I say to him.

He nods handing me a glass of orange juice. "Thank you for all of this" his smile making me melt.
-

"I wanna feel the heat with somebody. Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody-" Shawn points at me as he dances his way to me.

I chuckle looking around cluelessly then he puts his hands on my waist and I'm looking up at his crinkled eyes and flushed cheeks. I knew had drank but he was not drunk yet, maybe just a little giddy.

"You look beautiful" he twirls me around making me giggle. "Thank you" I smile up at him. "Will you dance with me pretty lady?" He asks.

"Of course" he leads me towards everybody and starts dancing around me in the most stupid but cutest way possible.

I laugh clapping my hands together.

"Dance Athena" he takes my hand twirling me around then he pulls me into him so my hands go flat on his chest and his nose nudges mine.

"I like this, when we're so free and just us. No fighting and no tears" he says so close to my lips.

"I do too" I tell him. His hands go up and down my sides as his eyes stay stuck on mine. I bring my hands to the nape of his neck. And for for second, just a split second I feel his lips brush mine.

"Shawn! Let's do shots!" Jon shouts. I suddenly move away from his face and his smile drops.

"Come on" he laces his hand in mine and I follow him to Jon.

He then let's go to do the shots and I stand to the side leaning against the wall.

Maybe I wanted to kiss him. Maybe if I kissed him I would feel everything I had felt before.

"You okay?" Shawn appears in front of me.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna go up to bed. Don't drink too much" I tell him with a small chuckle. "I'll try not to" he grins.

As I'm about to walk away he pulls me back. "Good night" he leans into me and when I think he's about to kiss me he doesn't. He kisses my forehead and in the most loving way possible. He leaves them their to linger for a seconds then he pulls back and I immediately miss his soft touch.

"Night" I mumble. He nods moving away from me and I make my way upstairs. As I get in bed and face up at the ceiling I couldn't help but wonder how I would've felt if we had just kissed.

Would it even make a difference?