79

Shawn Mendes

"Happy birthday dear Athena and Haze! Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sings collectively. Athena leans down towards the huge shaped cake. "Go on bubba" she encourages Haze but he looks blankly at her then giggles.

"I'll just do it" she blows out the candles and Haze erupts into giggles putting a smile on Athena's beautiful face. I take hold of her waist kissing her cheek. "Can't believe our baby is a year old" I say bopping his nose.

"Dada!" He giggles. I take him from Athena and she starts cutting the cake for everyone. "Meet me outside, wanna have a chat" she tells me. "Everything okay?" I ask. She nods then gets to giving everyone cake.

I take Haze outside, the fire pit was lit, stars were out and a cool breeze ran through the air. This past year has been so wonderful, I can't even express it. Me and Athena were doing so well that it did kinda scare me at the start, the old us would've argued every day about something as small as a pin but we've changed and for the better, being parents has pulled us closer for sure.

All the nights when we've stayed up to take care of our poorly baby or when we've stayed up just to have time alone after spending the whole day with everyone were the nights that counted. I mean yes we argued a little but we quickly squashed it, I think we both knew if something were to happen it would be over, for real and that's why I've kept my calm but I don't even have to try. She's keeping me grounded, making me feel loved and she gave me my son. I believe I love her more now than I ever did.

After my performance on Ellen I did a few more shows over the summer, I did press talks, Athena even joined me for an interview or two which was nice, I believe it was clear to anyone that I was utterly whipped. She even got back to designing and more people than ever wanted to work with her. We live a stressful life but I well and truly believe we balance each other out.

"I got cake for my baby!" Athena walks out, looking so beautiful in a pair of leather jeans and a black net top which showed a black bralette under it. Of course she got criticism for being who she is but I don't she think she cared.

"Awe thanks love" I kiss her cheek. "I was talking about Haze, look his eyes light up at the sight of cake" she chuckles leaning into me. I put my arm around her securely and she starts feeding a very excited baby. I watch as Haze claps his tiny hands together and his head tilts back, something he did when he was happy. Athena said I did that but I don't think I do.

"Such a good baby, huh hazey" Athena coos wiping cream from his chin. He sticks his tongue out licking all over. "Don't do that babes" Athena chuckles pressing a kiss to his chubby cheeks.

"I love him so much" she says, her love filled eyes stuck on Haze who was busy stuffing his face. "I do too, I don't think I've known love like it" I say. "Me too" Athena leans back into me sighing out in bliss.

"What did you wanna talk about?" I ask her.

"So you know we've been engaged for like a year now... I was thinking maybe, I don't know, like we could, if you want obviously-"

"Get married?" I ask cutting her off. She looks up at me with a lost expression. "Yeah, get married" she nods.

"I think it's about time"

Her face lights up, she tries her best to hold her smile in but she smiles so wide that her eyes crinkle and pearly whites show.

"When?" She asks. "Before Christmas? Really low-key, just family and a few friends. I'll find a place and you get your dress" I tell her, so sure of the decision.

"Can we do it that quick?"

"Of course we can, I'm eager to call you my Mrs, I've waited long enough" I tell her smugly. She tucks her head in to my neck shyly. "And maybe another baby?" She asks against my skin.

"Is that what you want?"

"Is it what you want?" She looks over at Haze taking his tiny hand. "I do want that" I tell her.

"Let's do it then" she grins.

I don't say anything for a few more minutes. I just admire the sight of my soon to be wife and baby playing happily.

"I love you so much" I kiss the top of her head Haze squeals wafting his arms at me. "I love you too" I chuckle kissing his head of short curls.

"I love you even more" Athena grins kissing my cheek. I was about to say something but Brian walks out.

"You guys gonna join the party?" He shouts over. "Yeah!" Athena chuckles getting up. I put Haze down and Athena takes his hand helping him waddle over to Brian.

"He's so big" Brian says scooping him up. Haze giggles loudly, he was happy to go with anyone. "I'm just gonna steal him for a bit, he's helping me get all the girls" Brian says quickly running inside.

Athena laughs taking hold of my hand as we head inside. "I can't believe my son is already a wing man" she says.

"The best wing man" I join in pulling her towards me. I take hold of her waist, swaying her to the beat of the music. Her hands go to my chest and she looks up at me lovingly.

"Do you remember the first time I tried to hug you and you went in to shake my hand?" I remind her and her cheeks flush pink. "Shut up, I was so awkward because you were so handsome" she shakes her head. "You think I'm handsome?" I smirk twirling her around.

She comes back to me hitting my chest. "Of course I do big head" she teases. "I always have"

"Well I've always thought that you're beautiful... I'm so lucky Athena, I have the prettiest girl by my side forever" I say in disbelief.

"Damn right you do" she giggles putting her head against my chest.

Instagram
@shawnmendes

Liked by 6,789,90Shawnmendes; happy birthday baby

Liked by 6,789,90
Shawnmendes; happy birthday baby

Comments:
User1: really thought they'd be over by now
-user2: they have a child and are engaged wtf

User3: HBD QUEEN
-Athenacarter: thank you love

Athenacarter: love ❤️

@shawnmendes

Liked by 6,990,23Shawnmendes: Haze is one years old that means it's time to teach him the piano 🎹❤️

Liked by 6,990,23
Shawnmendes: Haze is one years old that means it's time to teach him the piano 🎹❤️

Comments:
User1: OMG cutest thing I've seen

User2: teach them young

Niallhoran: can he join me on tour
-shawnmendes: he's MY opening act
-Athenacarter: actually YOU'RE his opening act 🙄
-shawnmendes: ouch!