53

Shawn Mendes

"hey" I smile at Athena. She smiles back walking in, it was once her home too. She slips her jacket off revealing a loose pale yellow dress she had on, her legs looking all shiny smooth and she took her white heels off.

"Hi" she smiles. I take her jacket hanging it up then I face her and my god was she gorgeous. She always had been. Her lips painted a pretty pink, her eyelashes long and curly, her cheeks blush naturally pink and she was all glowy. As for her hair it was simply in a messy pony tail.

"So What're we making?" She asks me. "Oh erm I was thinking maybe Mexican rice and chicken, if that's what you want?" I run a hand through my hair nervously. "Sounds good" she nods.

I lead her to the kitchen. She knew where everything was so we silently get everything out. I stop at the counter and she stands beside me grabbing the peppers and a knife.

"Boil the rice" she tells me. I nod doing as told.

"So at Leon's, are you sleeping on a bed?" I ask. "Yeah, in the spare room" she replies.

"When you're closer to the due date maybe you could stay with me and I can look after you, not that you'll need it but I'll be there for you" I tell her leaning against the counter watching her cut he peppers and she occasionally eats one.

"Yeah about that, maybe I could just get an apartment closer to you instead. In this building maybe. I know people will soon find out that we're not living together" she says looking up at me. Her gorgeous eyes looked so tired. All I wanted to do was hold her and make sure she was okay.

"Whatever you want to do" I nod at her. I had to make sure she knew I was putting her first from now on, whatever she says goes.

I had something else to ask her but I just couldn't find the courage to ask her so I decided to wait until we eat.

"Have you told your parents?" She asks me continuing to grab different ingredients. "Yep, they're so happy for us" I tell her happily, I notice her smile had fallen.

"Do they know what you did?" She asks softly not looking at me. My heart literally dropped, I know she's not over it and I know it'll take time to get her trust back, again but I want to try again. So if she wants to talk about this, I will.

"Yeah they do know. Aaliyah doesn't though. I got an earful of how wrong I was to do what I did, I know I'm in the wrong Athena, I don't blame you for anything" I say reaching for her waist. I gently pull her into me, I wanted to be so close to her but she's rejecting me and the thing is I can't even give her a reason to let me hold her.

She places her hands on my chest looking up at me.

"You can't do that" her voice gone low, like she was afraid to speak up. "Why not?" I ask, I know why not, I just needed to hear it.

"I'm not yours" she moves back. I keep my hands at her waist moving towards her. "Please, Athena. Give me a second chance? I need you" I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"You mean a third chance?" She asks looking at me with disappointment. "I can't Shawn. I'm not trying to be the fool I was the first time or the second" she sighs, her eyes looking everywhere but at me. "I told you that I trusted you and you broke it. Right now the only thing tying me to you is this baby and this ring and yes I want the baby but I don't want a relationship with you right now" she says in a rush.

I nod moving away from her and I see her shoulders drop. "This thing right now is fake anyway" she mumbles going back to the chopping board.

"You said not now, so maybe one day you can trust in me and we can have something because- because I love you Athena. I really do" I decide to just suck it up, i grab her hand turning her into me and both my hands go to the sides of her face.

"You're having my baby Athena, you're wearing that ring I gave you because I do want to marry you and you told me you wanted to marry me, you're here right now when you could've said no-"

"I'm not here for you Shawn" a tear slips her eye. "I'm here for the baby. I'm not that cruel that I wouldn't let you experience the pregnancy of your child. And I'm wearing this ring because I don't want anyone to think I used you when I didn't. People already think I'm the one who hurt you, I'm the one who broke the engagement off but when I put the ring back on, suddenly I'm using you again" she says, a hint of hurt lacing her voice. Her watery eyes stay on mine.

I take a deep breath wiping her tears.

"Tell me you don't love me then and I'll stop trying, I'll just be the father of your child and nothing more" I say in a whisper.

Her lips part as she goes to say something but nothing comes out.

"I- I'm going back to Leon's" she quickly moves away from me and I don't stop her this time. I watch as she puts her shoes and jacket back on then she rushes out.

She did love me. She does love me.

Now I just have to prove to her that I've changed. I'm here for her and the baby. I need to prove that I'm willing to try again all over for her just to show her she can trust and love me without getting hurt.

I just had no idea how I was going to do this.

___
Thank you to everyone who has been patient with this book!