48- Call

"Jina? Are you okay?"

I flinch as Hayoon unnie places a hand on my shoulder to get my attention. I spin around quickly, almost knocking her out with the meat tenderizer, but she successfully dodges it.

She dips backwards with wide eyes. I widen mine and clamp a hand over my mouth in suprise. "Sorry." I put down the meat tenderizer and wipe my hands on my apron.

She cocks her brow, "You okay right now?"

I nod rapidly, "Yeah, yeah! Why wouldn't I be? I'm great. Nothing's wrong!"

She eyes me strangely, "I meant do you need any help with dinner..."

I raise my brows, "Oh. No, I'm good."

"You sure? Look at the meat." I look down at the meat and widen my eyes. It's almost completely flatened, and way more than it's supposed to be.

I sigh and shake my head. I have to restart.

I toss the meat in the garbage and grab some more from the fridge. When I turn around, Hayoon unnie's holding a knife, causing me to freeze and stare at it with wide eyes.

She frowns, "To cut the meat." She hands it to me and I hesitantly take it, holding the kitchen weapon with my thumb and index finger, holding it a good foot away from me.

Hayoon unnie examins me as I repound the meat, this time more attentively, and take the knife with shaking hands as I start to cut the meat into strips.

Blood.

Agony.

Pain.

I drop the knife on the cutting board and hold my bloody finger with my other hand. I sniffle and run my finger under cold water as pain blossoms through my hand.

Hayoon unnie comes back with a first aid kit as I dry my hand off, blood still trickling out of the small cut. She grabs my arm and sits me down, then takes my finger. She places a ball of gauze on my finger and presses down, causing my breath to hitch. She silences me by smacking my arm and then starts spreading an antibiotic cream over the cut. Then she carefully places a small bandaid over it.

"Thanks." I smile, but she only gives me a cold stare in return.

"What's up with you?" She asks, leaning back on the chair and crossing her arms. "You've been acting weird since we got home. Hunn, that was two weeks ago. Spill." She demands.

I sigh and get out my phone. It's a good thing I recorded the phone call.

I press play and turn up the volume.

"Listen here, you little shit. You think you're done with me? You're wrong. I will always be around, whether you like it or not. Next time I see you, I will rip your lungs out from your throat. I will dig your eyes out with a melon baller. And when I'm done with you, I will get to that boyfriend of yours. He's the next to go."

It ends and I put it away.

Hayoon unnie sighs and rubs her face. "When?"

I frown, "Excuse me?"

"When did you get it?" She asks, waving her hand at me.

"The night before you came home."

"And you've kept it that long? Really?" She looks frustrated now. "Tell someone! Anyone! Hell, go to the police!"

"And what would they do? Dad's already in jail. Maybe they'd add a few more years, but that's it. There's nothing to do about it." I say calmly. "If there is something we can do, please tell me. Please."