Chapter 5: A Whimsical Promise

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

Long time no see, eh?  I'm sorry, school's been keeping me really busy lately.  If things go well, regular updates should start again at the beginning of June.  I hope this chapter makes up for it though!!

Anyway, let's start :D

Enjoy :3

Serena

After me and Ash hug for a few minutes, I ask him if he wants to talk; after all, I don't know if there's anywhere he has to be.  But he replies with a yes, so we walk over to a fairly open spot close to a nearby stream; the rock we choose to sit on overlooks it.  The bubbling sound of the water flowing around us fills my ears and I sigh, suddenly not knowing what to say.  I turn to Ash, and he's gazing around at the nature too; naturally, he probably is as amazed as I was when I started seeing things at this size.  The largeness and greenness of the leaves around us along with the silkiness and colourfulness of the small clusters of flowers; Pokemon travel all around us, filling the air with their cries of pure joy and energy.  This is my home, well partially at least, and I've grown to love it.

"Who knew that after all these years, you were home all along," Ash absently remarks, his eyes filled with wonder, and- wait, do I see regret in there too?  At first I'm confused, but then I remember that Kanto is his homeland, and Pallet Town is the place where he grew up.  So close, yet so far...

"Oh!  Uh, yeah," I respond, if not a little awkwardly.  "It's quite pretty, is it not?"

"Of course!" he exclaims loudly, then goes quiet again.  "So you're..." he stops for a second, gesturing to me, seeming to catch himself.  "You've changed."

I instantly blush a little, as I know he's referring to my fairy wings- a look I suppose that he is not used to seeing on me.  I swallow, wondering where this is heading.  "I... um, yeah, I guess I did."

"Do you.. are you.. you're still the same Serena, right?" Ash asks skeptically, looking a little anxious.  

My heart suddenly breaks into a million pieces just hearing him ask that.  "A-Ash... of course I am!  I'm still the same Serena that lo- er, that cared about you all those years ago," I plead, hoping he would see me, the me that he knew before all this.  "I promise, I swear I'm the same-"

"Hey Serena!  Serena, calm down... don't worry, I know you're the same person that I care about too," Ash quickly interjects, which earns a sigh of relief from me.  "I really want to hear what you've been up to though," he adds, looking at me hopefully.

"You first," I say instead, because my life right now is so complicated that it would be hard to understand and explain.  "I really want to hear what you've been up to as well."

Ash smiles, scooting a little closer to me; of course, I can't help myself, I go a little red.  "Well... after you died, I went to find you," he begins.  "There was a lot of us- well, me, obviously, and Clemont too!  Bonnie came along of course, as did Mairin and Alain- wait, wait wait WAIT!" Ash suddenly shouts, turning toward me with a desperate look.  "Bonnie... Mairin... Alain... they died the same way, they must be with you, right?"

I gulp.  Bonnie and Mairin were, but Alain... my heart still hurts when I think of what happened, what I had to do.

"Please, please tell me Serena," he begs, his eyes welling up.  After seeing him like that, there's no way I can back down now.

"I have seen all of them, yes," I start slowly, because at least that is the truth.  I'd seen all of them at least once- I get to see Bonnie and Mairin everyday after all!  My thoughts become laced with unease; I don't want Ash to know the truth about Alain so soon.  Like all the other outcasts, the Darks, they aren't really talked about much.  I still feel really bad for Mairin though; it broke her heart to see him go.