Chapter 12: Celebrations Start!

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

I don't have much to say, so let's get into the chapter now- enjoy!!

Edit May 22nd, 2020: Happy Birthday Ash :D

Ash

I wake up to someone rapidly shaking my shoulders.  I blearily blink open my eyes and I see Serena's smiling face.  "Serena, it's too early," I complain, wanting to close my eyes again and fall back asleep.  

"No no no!  Maybe any other day, but not today!" the urgency of her voice actually wakes me up a little, and I quickly began to think something's wrong.  However, she stops when I tell her these thoughts and she reassures me that everything is fine.

"Then what's the rush then...?"

"It's your birthday, Ash!  Come on, up up up!" I laugh as I let Serena pull me up.  She's right- I had completely forgotten I'm turning 20 today.  I'm 20 years old... how the time flies.  

"I brought you some breakfast," she adds, handing me a plate of delicious-looking food.  "I thought you would want one meal in peace before all the celebrations start.  Oh!  Happy birthday, by the way," she adds at the end, a slight blush on her face.  "Trust me, I know you'll enjoy today.  You'll be having birthday celebrations fairy-style."  This earns a small chuckle from me.

I start to eat the meal Serena brought me, making sure to share a bit with her.  "What's planned for today?" I ask, relishing the flavours of the fluffy eggs and soft pancakes.

"Most of it's a surprise," she admits to me.  "But I can tell you that you'll get to be doing something you love."

I look at her, feeling a mixture of confusion and excitement simultaneously.

"Oh Ash, there's something I've been meaning to tell you..." Serena's voice trails off.  "It's really important, can I tell you please?"

I nod.  "By all means, go ahead-"

"Serenaaa!" Bonnie enters the room, stopping Serena from saying anything.  I look at her, and I can tell that she is a little disappointed.  

"What is it, Bonnie?" I ask curiously.

"Happy birthday by the way!  I just wondered if I could hear about-"

"Clemont?  No problem, I'm just having breakfast anyway.  It's okay, right, Serena?" I glance over at her.

I can tell she is upset about not being able to say the thing she wanted to say, but she nods anyways.  "It's okay, I know Bonnie really wants to hear about him.  I'm curious too," she adds cheerfully.

I smile at the two fairies.  "I guess it's story time then." 

"How has he been doing since I left?" Bonnie's voice is so enthusiastic that I can't help but smile.

"He really misses you," I tell her.  "You were everything to him."

Bonnie gives us a knowing look.  "So I was to him like Serena is to you?"

Right on cue both of us go red, and Serena fumes at her friend.

I cough then clear my voice.  "I-I guess so." I look at Serena to see her reaction, but she doesn't seem to have any objections to my statement.  Does that mean...?  I shake off the thought.  I'm going to confess to her today anyway.  I'll have my answer.

"But yeah, he's pretty much the same," I tell Bonnie.  "He still loves inventing things and coming up with the silliest of names.  He's started researching Pokemon now too- I think he wants to work for someone like Professor Sycamore himself one day."