Chapter 37: The Gravity of it All

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

First off, Merry (late) Christmas, happy holidays, and happy new year!!  I hope everyone is enjoying the time with their families.  And now, it's the moment you've all been waiting for: will Drago be taken down by Ash?

I also recommend listening to the music with this chapter, if you haven't been already.  It helps to heighten the mood of the chapter.

Anyways, let's get on with it!!  I hope you enjoy it :)

Ash

I turn after I hear the voice, and feel an urge to vomit when I see Drago standing tall and proud among the other Dark Leaders.  They stand far apart from him, almost as if they're... afraid.

That makes me tremble, but only a little bit.

"Come, come!" Drago says pleasantly.  "This is a wonderful time.  After a fairy gets bonded with their Necklace, they get to meet all the fairies who wore the Necklace before them.  The spirits get to test them, and if they believe the new fairy is unworthy, they may challenge the new fairy to a battle to-"

"I've heard all of this before," I say, trying to act bored like he always does.  I walk right up to him and stand my ground.  "I already know you want to challenge me."

"We have a smart boy here," the former Leader calls out, then turns to me.  "Yes, but all the spirits must vote.  Depending on the result the battle may be... postponed.  So, let's have that vote, shall we?  I believe that this man, Ash Ketchum, is unworthy of possessing leadership of the Dark Fairies and wearing the Necklace that grants him it.  Should he be tested?"

"Why-" a small voice breaks away, and a fairy steps into the center.  That's Rin.  Rin stands tall, his voice louder, though I can see him tremble.  Another fairy with blue eyes stands beside Rin who also holds his ground.  Is that Xavier, the fairy who Rin was describing to me?  "Why should he be tested?  I believe that he is good."

Drago sneers at him.  "He is gullible.  He abandoned his lover-"

"W-Wait," I say, embarrassed because the thought of me and Serena being together makes me go red. 

"when she needed him the most," Drago continues, ignoring me.  "The Legendaries didn't even choose him- Serena did.  Why should he be the Leader?"

"Because he is noble," Rin counters.  "He is smart, loyal, and most importantly, he is a leader.  You can't change that," he says, only to be interrupted by a squeal of pain.  I look towards the source of the sound and discover that it's Rin's Raichu, trembling as dark needles stab it over and over.  Rin instantly stops talking and the needles disappear, leaving a relieved Raichu slumping on the ground.  Xavier just glares at Drago, crouching down alongside Rin.

Drago smiles.  "Be careful what you say, or your Pokemon will pay," he says cheerfully.  "Now, let's finally have that vote.  Who votes that Ash is good?"

No one dares to speak a word.  I am upset but honestly I understand their position.  I wouldn't want Pikachu or Greninja to get hurt either.

"Well then," the Dark Leader smiles, finally standing up.  He takes slow strides to a clearing the other fairies have formed in the center of the space.  As soon as he arrives Drago motions for me to join him.  I pace there slowly, trying to focus myself for the battle to come.  Keep your calm.  Everything is riding on this win.  You can do it.

"Summon your Pokemon so I can finish you," Drago says impatiently as soon as I am standing across from him.  

"I wouldn't be too cocky," I tell him as I place my hands on my chest.  "You're dealing with a true Pokemon Master!"