Chapter 38: Their Final Battle

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

I hope you're all excited for this chapter!!  This is officially the third-last chapter, two more left to go.  And it's the fortieth part!!  (For now) this is officially my longest book.  For chapter AND part count.  

Question: Who do you think the "their" is in the chapter title?

Anyways let's start the chapter now.  I hope you do enjoy it!! :D

Ash

"I... I lost," I whisper, almost trembling.  I lost, I lost, I lost.  

"Gren..." Greninja groans.  With what little strength I have left I stumble over to my Pokemon and make sure that he's alright.  Pikachu scampers up behind me, and I can tell that he's afraid too.

"You did fight nobly, I admit," Drago says suddenly.  I turn to him, filled with hatred.  "That was the most fun I've had in centuries battling a fairy.  You've got skill, that's for sure."  Then he smiles.

"Just... not enough."

I gulp, crawling backwards as Drago slowly steps towards me.  His smile fades away into a look so menacing that even Giovanni would have to compete.  I place my hands over my Necklace, wanting to protect it with my life.  Everyone's trusting me.  I can't let them down.

You already have, my inner voice says, and I feel my confidence begin to ebb away like morning dew at noon.

"You lost," Drago says.  "So why-"

"No."

Surprised, I turn around.  Rin stands up, a sure look on his face. 

Drago seems annoyed, and bitter.  "What did you say?" 

"I said no," Rin repeats.  "Ash didn't lose.  He lost one Pokemon, but he didn't lose."

"What on earth-"

"Drago, that's the thing about these fairy battles," says Xavier, standing side by side with Rin.  "Everyone battles with every Pokemon that they have.  For millenniums it's only ever been one versus one battles.  However it seems," he adds with a warm look at me, "we have a fairy with two Pokemon.  And it's only right that he has a chance to fight with everything he's got."

"Xavier's completely correct," says yet another new fairy.  "It's not just fair- it's the law."

"You don't know what you're talking about, Zagan-"

"Oh, but I do," Zagan's eyes flash.  "I'm the first ever Dark Leader.  I've overseen every single generation of fairies, Dark and Light alike.  And Drago... I hate myself for not trying to become strong enough to stop you sooner.  But this ends now.  Ash has talent... and once he defeats you we will have no trouble banishing you for good."

"We aren't afraid of you!" everyone cheers, saying that and similar phrases.  

"Ash, you've got everyone on your side," Rin says with a grin.  "And we're all gonna help you win."

"This is ridiculous!" Drago screams, but no one pays attention to him anymore.  Honestly I feel a little bad for him; this man is downright sadistic and insane.

Rin approaches me, as well as Xavier and Zagan.  I feel I should bow or something when I see the fairy approach.  Should I bow?  I should bow.

I start to bow but Zagan holds out a hand to stop me.  "I understand," he says warmly.  "I've never even met you before, yet somehow I know that you can do this perfectly."