Chapter 15: Trapped in the Dark

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

A lot of you guys said how you wanted to see the next update asap, so here it is.  I know I left off on a pretty big cliffhanger last time.. so I worked to update today instead of Saturday!!!

Let's get right into it.  As always, please enjoy!! :)

Serena

I'm curled up on my bed crying, Sylveon laying beside me.  She tries to comfort me, but I don't care.  I don't care about anything anymore.

"Serena... I think I love you."

"Ash- this is what I wanted to tell you.  I... I'm not allowed... to be in love with someone."

Just thinking about how I made Ash run away is horrible, and makes me cry harder.  It certainly doesn't help that practically every fairy in the Colony saw the exchange.  I punch my pillow, enraged at the fairies for the first time in my life.  I still love Ash with all my heart... and yet because of something I did not choose I'm not allowed to return his feelings, feelings I never thought he'd have for me.

I almost expect to hear some of the fairy spirits' voices in my head, but I hear none, not even Aria.  It's dead silent, and that on its own somehow makes me even more upset.

"Your Lightness, permission to enter?"

That's Heliux, but I have absolutely no intention of letting him in.  "Permission denied."

Of course, he ignores me and comes in anyway.  Typical Heliux, always doing what he thinks is best.

"What do you want," I say crossly, in no mood to chat.

"Serena, I am terribly sorry that Ash did that," he says gently.  "If there is anything I can do to help, please, tell me."

"You want to help?" I sit up and look him dead in the eyes.  "Then change the rules.  Change the rules so that me and Ash can finally be happy after we had to wait so many years."

"Serena, you know I cannot do that..." Heliux says, sighing.  

"Then fine.  I want to be with Ash so much it hurts and I probably suck at leading anyway.  Take this," I say, starting to take off my Necklace.  Before I can get it fully off, however, Heliux slams it back against my chest with a huge force that almost knocks me back.  

"Serena!" Heliux says crossly with an angry look in his eyes.  "You know you cannot take that off, it will kill you!"

I look down.  "I don't care."

Heliux sighs and sits beside me on my bed while I hug a pillow to my chest.  "Death is not the option here, Serena," he says firmly.  "I... I know the pains of trying to be in love when it is forbidden.  It is hard, but eventually you learn to adapt to it.  You will see; Ash will come back and you two can talk about it, and you can sort things out.  Everything will be okay," he finishes with a reassuring smile.

"Since when did you become my therapist?" I mumble crossly, though I have a slight smile on my face.

Heliux stands up.  "It is my duty to help you as Minister," he says simply.  "But I best be off now; I must talk to Brock about something."  He begins to leave, but I call him back.

"Are... are you sure you can't change the rules?"

"The rules are put in place for a reason," Heliux tells me.

"But why-"

"It is very simple, Your Lightness.  When that rule was broken, a war started out.  The war."