Chapter 31: The Final Story

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

As you can guess we're on the final arc of the story.  And believe me, things are only heating up from here.

With that said, let's get to the chapter!!  I hope you enjoy it, as usual :)

Serena

Ash, the other Light Fairies, and I walk back towards our colony with an impending sense of doom.

"Welcome to the end of the world."

I shudder, unable to shake Drago's cruel words from my mind no matter how hard I try.  The words sit with me, weighing me down as if I had ten pound weights on my shoulders.  I don't even notice how our two forests look alike now, the Light's beautiful shimmering flora and twinkling skies reduced to devastation.  I hear Mallow's breath hitch from behind me; of course she feels upset, dealing with flora is part of her Element, after all.

I turn to Heliux.  "What do you think Rin is up to?" I ask slowly in an uncharacteristic monotone.

His frown only deepens and his brows furrow deeper.  "I... I cannot say for sure," he says, lost for words for the first time ever.  "But we must prepare.  The imbalance... everyone can feel it.  It's like flight; the winds from opposing sides must be balanced if fairies, or any flying creature, are to soar into the air.  The grand scale that we are all on is about to break; we must do all we can to ensure that does not happen."

I nod absently.  I notice Ash's expression beside me, his eyes seemingly devoid of life.  Is Drago's spell still affecting him?  Or does he just feel guilty for letting Gladion die?

"Ash, are you alright?" I ask sincerely, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

He looks at me and smiles sadly.  "This... all of this is my fault," he answers hoarsely.  "Everything was peaceful before I came here."

"Don't say that!" I object, my eyes wide with dismay.  "Rin could have taken any person.  It just ended up being you."  I only use the false name because all the fairies are in such close proximity they would hear us; I don't need even more problems today.

"Her Lightness is correct," Heliux says, and for once I don't scowl at the title.  "Dra-er, Rin is ruthless.  He will do anything it takes to reach his goal... even if it means the destruction of all that we have tried to protect."

"Use present tense," I say quickly, and both of them look at me with confused stares.  "We are still protecting everything," I clarify.  "The battle has not been lost yet."

"That's my Serena," Ash says, putting an arm around me.  "Always being positive when there's almost no hope left."

That makes me smile.  Lita, let me keep this smile for the battle to come.

"As soon as we get back to the Colony, I'll make a shield," Heliux adds suddenly.  "It will help protect us."

"A shield?" I question.  "But don't you need two Ministers for that?"

He throws me a sly smile.  "I see that I have taught you well.  Yes it does, but I can still form it by myself; it will just be weaker-"

"Well, it's a good thing you have two Ministers then."

We all stop and stare as Layra comes forward, her dark wings creating stark contrast with everyone else's.  "Layra?  What are you doing here?" I ask.  "Rin will miss you."

She shrugs.  "No, he won't."

Heliux's eyes narrow.  "Layra is back at the Dark Fairy Colony," he hisses.  "I can see her.  So you best explain yourself this instant."