Chapter 28: Tragedy and Murder

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

So if you can guess by the chapter title there will be a lot of stuff happening this chapter.  I won't waste time in this A/N.  

As always, enjoy!!  For once I was able to update early/on time haha.

Serena

It's been a couple hours, and Ash and I finally decide to go our separate ways.  I honestly would've preferred to spend the rest of the day with him, but he has his responsibilities, as do I.  Besides, tomorrow is a big day.  We need time to prepare.

We give each other a quick hug and after some heartfelt goodbyes, we both leave.  He heads towards the darker part of the forest, while I start to go in a different direction.  I'm going to leave the realm again- I want to see Clemont.  Now that I know he's an Elemental I want to bring him to our world.  If he wants it, of course.

I wince.  I still can't believe Heliux did that.

I turn a corner and I'm absolutely startled to run into Heliux.  He's not alone though, he's with another Elemental.  I notice that he doesn't have wings yet, so he must be new.  We both stop, and the new guy looks a little confused.

I feel that I have to say something.  "Heliux, I-"

"Now is not the time, Serena," he says, interrupting me in the process.  "Listen.  Something very very bad has happened.  One of the human regions has fallen victim to the imbalance.  It is no more.  We must gather every fairy we can, and stop Rin before it is too late."

I nod breathlessly, looking at the newcomer.  "Who-"

"This is Max," Heliux introduces briefly.  "May's brother.  He was... the only survivor, at least in terms of Elementals and as far as we fairies know.  Perhaps-"

"Clemont will know.  Yes, he might."  We're interrupting each other, but everything is so tense.  A cold wind blows, scattering the piles of dead leaves and decay that sits along the forest floor.  I wince.  "What... what region was it?"

Heliux is silent.

My heart hardens.  "Heliux, tell me, please."

"...Kalos, Serena.  It was Kalos."

My eyes go dark as my knees start to shake.  Kalos... Kalos... why?  All of the friends that I'd left lived there.  The Professor... Shauna... Tierno... Trevor... my mother.  I hope that they weren't in the region when it was destroyed.  I close my eyes and say a silent prayer.  Please, Lita, make it so.

I quickly steady myself.  People who I loved were in danger, even if they'd forgotten about me.  The whole world was in danger, and I couldn't stand around doing nothing.  I look at Heliux, feeling steady.  "I'll go get Clemont, and meet you back at the colony as soon as I can."

He nods and we go our separate ways.  

"Do any of you know what happened?" I whisper to my Necklace, hoping I'll get an answer.

My heart almost stops as Aria answers me.  "I'm so sorry, Serena."

I need to get to Clemont quickly.

I make the portal right then and there to the spot where I met up with Clemont the first time.  To my surprise he's already there, looking anxious.  I perform my spell on him and as soon as we're face to face he runs up to me and grips my shoulders.

"Serena... Serena, s-something really bad h-has happened," he stutters, and he looks like he's about to cry.

I give him a hug and do my best to steady him.  "I know," I whisper.  "Kalos has fallen.  Please tell me that you could get in contact with someone.  Anyone."